Help! with blonde water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry-wang

Reaction score
I'm looking to get the best blonde water profile I can with what I have. My base water profile is:
98 ca/ 18 mg/ 51 na/ 120 SO4/ 73 Cl/ 220 bicarb/ pH 7.6/ RA 102

after playing with bru n' water this is what I came up with

80 ca/ 11.6 mg/ 25.5 na/ 85 SO4/ 81.1 Cl/ 54.6 bicarb/ mash pH 5.6 / RA -19

A few questions on that. I know I want my pH lower, but the problem is it already has me adding 1.1 ml of lactic acid to the mash and 6.7 ml to the sparge. I don't want off flavors due to the amount of lactic acid I'm adding. how can I go about lowering it without adding more.

Or would it be easier to just use RO water and build up from there, and how would I go about that?

p.s. brew day is tomorrow, please help thanks :)

I diluted. 50% filtered tap water and 50% RO and added salts to come up with:

My issue is my pH. I can't lower it without adding a crazy amount of lactic acid which in my understanding can effect the taste. A total of 7.8 ml between mash/sparge, just to get my pH to 5.6, not really where I want it at.

just a FYI I'm doing a 5 gallon batch.

I diluted. 50% filtered tap water and 50% RO and added salts to come up with:

My issue is my pH. I can't lower it without adding a crazy amount of lactic acid which in my understanding can effect the taste. A total of 7.8 ml between mash/sparge, just to get my pH to 5.6, not really where I want it at.

just a FYI I'm doing a 5 gallon batch.

The S04 and Cl is still pretty high.

The easy way to lower the pH is to dilute more with RO water, as that will lower the bicarb and alkalinity to such a low level that you'll only need a tiny bit of acid to hit your desired mash pH. Or, for light beers like blondes, use 100% RO water and a tiny bit of calcium chloride and have an easy way to hit the desireable mash pH.

Latest posts

Back