Help with Blonde Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drebin138

Reaction score
So I found this recipe for a blonde ale https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/tropical-blonde-ale.419142/

I’m going to modify it a little bit by adding 5 pounds of dry extract instead of 4.5 and I’m not going to add any corn sugar to the boil. I’m either going to use all Citra or replace the mosaic with galaxy.

I also planned on adding some orange peel to the boil with about 10 minutes left and adding some more as a dry hop after fermentation dies down.

This is the first brew of mine that I’m actually piecing together and not just buying a kit and making whatever changes I wanna make. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything the right way. Thanks for the help!

I would keep the sugar in the recipe, but I would use regular everyday table sugar and not buy expensive corn sugar. Sugar (either type) will ensure proper attenuation and prevent the dreaded high final gravity, e.g., "my extract beers never ferment any lower than 1.018!" If you do not have this problem with your extract beers, then nevermind, maybe you don't need the sugar. But, it won't hurt to use it either way, and it might help.

Orange peel will tend to add a pithy bitterness but not much flavor. FYI. If you want orangey flavor, you should try a teaspoon of crushed coriander instead.

Imitation is the best sort of flattery.
This is how I started to build recipes ... that, and piddling with a brew calculator dreaming up loads of "what if" imaginary brews that will never get done. Hitting the calculator helped me understand the ratios, numbers, and styles by entering in variations on a recipe I liked.
Good luck.

I would keep the sugar in the recipe, but I would use regular everyday table sugar and not buy expensive corn sugar. Sugar (either type) will ensure proper attenuation and prevent the dreaded high final gravity, e.g., "my extract beers never ferment any lower than 1.018!" If you do not have this problem with your extract beers, then nevermind, maybe you don't need the sugar. But, it won't hurt to use it either way, and it might help.

Orange peel will tend to add a pithy bitterness but not much flavor. FYI. If you want orangey flavor, you should try a teaspoon of crushed coriander instead.
I haven’t had the problem yet but I’ve only brewed three batches so far. I don’t want the abv to be much higher than 5% so that’s why I figured I’d do away with the sugar bit the original recipe only calls for 4 ounces so I’ll probably just do use that amount. That should put the abv right where I want it. I’m brewing this for a summer party so I want it to be a nice easy drinker.

Would I use the crushed coriander in the boil or more like a dry hop?

Would I use the crushed coriander in the boil or more like a dry hop?

Either way. I'm honestly not certain which one I'd prefer. I think I always boil mine for a few minutes, but theoretically, adding some at end of fermentation should pack a bigger wallop. It depends what you want. If you're not sure, then I would just boil it for a few minutes as you've planned.

Either way. I'm honestly not certain which one I'd prefer. I think I always boil mine for a few minutes, but theoretically, adding some at end of fermentation should pack a bigger wallop. It depends what you want. If you're not sure, then I would just boil it for a few minutes as you've planned.
Thanks for the tip I’ll just boil since it’s the first time I’ll be using it. Appreciate the help.

Back