help with automating brewing/mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
Looking for direction from those who have/or are considering automated mash temperature control. I would love to go all electric but my break panel is pretty much full (100amps). So a direct fire HERMS is what I think may be best right now. Plus I could easily add a ngas line outside and ditch the propane.

I have been brewing for some time now and used to think that automating brewing/mash temps took the fun out of the process... well no more! Keeping my mash temps stable via a cooler or direct fire from my outdoor cooker is getting old. My issue is consistency and I think getting tighter control over my mash will help. So I have considered the following upgrades but all of which seem to run at least 2k. If money were no issue I would just buy a sabco product and call it day.

One thought is a direct fire HERMS with my current 6gal for the HLT build, and my 10 gal cooler as the mash vessel.

In your build/research:
What is the least cost way to go for automating? PID, BCS, Brewtroller?
What did you use for your herms coil?
Is it necessary to run two pumps? One for the mash recirc and one for the hlt recirc?

Lastly... I am not eliminating an electric setup, but it does not seem possible without more space on the panel.

I am not really looking for bling here, but functionality and easy to setup. Also, I have searched a ton on this topic and really looking for some guidance from anyone. Thanks.

If you only have a 100 amp service, you should be OK with a 2000w heating element / heat stick with a PID controller and 25a SSR. With that small of a volume, it won't take long to get to temp. Then use 25 foot of 3/8 - 1/2 inch copper tubing. I sacrificed an old chiller. A BCS or Brewtroller is WAY more than you'll need.

I would only use one pump, stir your HLT water occasionally to reduce stratification of temperatures. I have an electrically controlled HLT and a propane fired kettle. This set up works fantastic, however I do 10 gallon batches and use 2 2000w elements. I think electric will be easy and fairly cheap to do at this scale.

If you only have a 100 amp service, you should be OK with a 2000w heating element / heat stick with a PID controller and 25a SSR. With that small of a volume, it won't take long to get to temp. Then use 25 foot of 3/8 - 1/2 inch copper tubing. I sacrificed an old chiller. A BCS or Brewtroller is WAY more than you'll need.

I would only use one pump, stir your HLT water occasionally to reduce stratification of temperatures. I have an electrically controlled HLT and a propane fired kettle. This set up works fantastic, however I do 10 gallon batches and use 2 2000w elements. I think electric will be easy and fairly cheap to do at this scale.

there are two spots open on the panel, i guess as long as no one is using the oven or dryer is shouldnt be a big deal. i would use a propane cooker as well to heat up the boil as well. this may work then. thanks.

what did you use for housing the control panel?

Yup relatively cheap and easy to wire. Great control as well. I keep my mash with in 1 degree of my target over an hour.

You got it. Then stir the water maybe twice an hour to keep temps even in the HLT. Saves you 150 on a second pump.

Back