Help With an IPA, Tankhouse Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to put together a clone of Tankhouse Ale from Mill St Brewing in Toronto. I found a list of ingredients that are in the brew from this site but no one has put together a recipe that ive found. Here are the ingredients and stats as I found them:

Pale Ale Malt
Biscuit
Munich
Caramel
Chocolate

Bitter, aroma and dry hopped all with Cascade

OG 1.050
FG 1.011
IBU 42
SRM 15

And here is the recipe ive put together to try and clone it, i am not sure about the ratios and amounts of grain as ive not worked with most of these grains before. Any help at all would be awesome:

Pale Ale Malt 19lb
Biscuit Malt 1lb
Crystal 40 1lb
Chocolate Malt 0.7lb
Crystal 60 0.5lb

4 hops additions, all cascade, at 60,30,15,0 mins adding to 44 IBU

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I've never had the beer before, but I'd suggest less chocolate. Maybe less crystal as well. The descriptions say copper beer, light roastiness, but that's still too much chocolate malt.

And where' the Munich? Maybe 1-2 lbs of that, halve the Crystal.

Ok, that sounds good. How about the Biscuit malt in your opinion? Ive never worked with it, so im not sure if a pound is way too much or not.

I've never used Biscuit in an IPA. Maybe a pound or just a half for a 5g batch. I've never used Biscuit and Munich together in anything.

Looking again at your recipe: 19 lbs. of pale ale malt? Is that a 10g batch? My comments above assumed it was 5g, so the chocolate amount isn't quite so bad, though still high.

If you go with Munich, I'd swap a few pounds of pale ale malt for Munich. I've made an IPA that uses a good bit of Munich, which may not be normal but works. Assuming a 10g batch, I think the following comes close to your OG and SRM targets:

15 lbs pale, 4 lbs Munich, 1 lb Biscuit, .75 Crystal 60, .5 Chocolate.

(You can play at this site http://www.brewersfriend.com/srm-calculator/)

Either they use this much chocolate, or they go much higher with Crystal and perhaps Munich to get the same color. 15 SRM is dark for an IPA.

Can you link to your source for that ingredient list? I've drank an awful lot of Tankhouse and never detected chocolate malt in it.

The hops is definitely cascade. I have brewed a very close clone using nothing but pale ale and crystal malts with cascade.

It was posted within the Canadian Brewers Group, apparently the guy found the list from a cask competition that tankhouse had been entered into. Can you give me a rough idea of your recipe for your clone ni? And does anyone have recommendations about biscuit?

Back