Help with an APA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on creating a balanced, west coast hop influenced American pale ale. I submit this recipe draft for the HBT critique. I mashed a bit higher, because I tend to get better than expected attenuation. I'd like some body, balanced hop/ malt profile. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks everyone! :mug:

Uphill American Pale Ale

Boil Size: 14.47 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.52 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

15 lbs 9.9 oz Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)
4 lbs 12.9 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 3.2 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM
1 lbs 3.2 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1 lbs 2.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.59 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Mash 60.0 min
0.70 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ)
0.84 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.60 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.59 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.59 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.20 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.2 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. -

Mash Schedule: 153 degrees, Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

It looks like you are trying to throw everything in that might get used in a Pale Ale. I'm not a "kitchen sink" type of brewer, but like my brews only as complex as is absolutely needed for the desired result. I would strip down to a single pale malt with a bit of Crystal. Lose the Flaked Wheat or you'll have something very cloudy. Cut out all hops but one or at the most two types that compliment each other. I'd also probably mash lower, because the crystal is going to add body.

I'm not saying it looks bad, just that it looks overly complicated to me.

I would agree with the above post. Better to start off simple and work up. I would even consider consider either all 2row an crystal 40. Or all Maris otter and crystal 40.

If you want a true APA then ditch the Maris Otter and go all two row. Sure, a few commercial examples use Maris Otter (or are thought to use Maris Otter), and people usually say that those are closer to the English Pale Ale style, even if they use American yeast and American hops.

I'd disagree about ditching the Marris Otter, but you might want to try simplifying the grist a bit. I made an american pale ale recently that had:
90% Marris Otter
5% Crystal 60
5% flaked wheat.
OG was about 1.050 and IBUs were at about 40.

I thought it turned out well balanced. It had a little bit of chill haze, but wasn't all that bad. Some gelatin would have cleared it right up. Head retention was great. You could probably ditch the wheat if you wanted. I'd just add more base malt if you did that.

If you find that maltiness of MO a bit too much for a APA (doubt you will), I'd do the same only do 45% pale 2-row and 45% MO (to make the 90%). I think the reason why commercial brewers don't use MO to do APA's is cost. Flavor wise its great. I think yeast choice and how you drive the ferment has the most impact on "English" flavor.

I don't know, I've really enjoyed the beers that were 90-95% base malt and ~5% crystal 60. I like 60 cause I can use a little less and still get the color out of it.

Disclaimer: I like pretty dry beers. I dislike it when I can really taste crystal in my IPA and pale ales.

Back