Help with AG Bock-like ale recipe to break 9 month beer-fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
My wife is approaching the end of a 9 month, medically induced beer-fast. Roughly two months to go, and she's requested we make a bock to celebrate. I don't want to lager. So I'm looking for some advice on a good Bock, or Bock-like ale recipe. All grain, 5 gallons give or take. Suggestions?

Well a dunkel bock is going to be around 1.068, mostly a mix of munich type malts (munich I, II, melodinin/aromatic, [you could add 20% pils if you are nervous about conversion.]) around 3-5% dark crystal (caraaroma or similar) , and a splash of carafa for color adjustment if necessary. Mash around 152.
Bitter on the sweet side around 25 ibu of a clean bittering hop. No real need for finishing hops.

Its going to be hard to do without lagering. Id use an alt yeast (1007) maybe, or maybe a kolsch yeast as it would attenuate better. and try to cold condition it near freezing in the keg for 2 months before tapping.

Thanks for the advice, and the tip on 1007. Hadn't run into that strain yet but it looks perfect for what I hope to pull off.

Latest posts

Back