Help with a wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cklages

Reaction score
I am relatively experienced brewer, but only rarely get into wines. Usually I just follow directions, but sometimes life gets in the way a little.

Anyway, I am making a Ken Ridge gewurztraminer kit. I put it on about a month ago, but didn't transfer to secondary because I got too busy. It fermented to dry (.995) right in the primary.

Today I racked it to secondary with K meta, but since its already dry, should I just get on with the degassing and clarifying steps, or should I give it some more time in 'secondary' and rack it again before proceeding.

I will be filtering before bottling if that makes a difference.

Also, the kit comes with sorbate that it directs to use during the clarifying step, but I have no intention of backsweetening. Can I just leave it out, or will that increase risk of infection. Could I just use K meta instead?

Sorry, that was kind of a long rambling post, I'll break it down to two questions.

1) Secondary or straight to clarifying.

2) Sorbate or K meta or nothing.

Thanks for your time!

I would definitely use the chemicals now and stabilize and degas and clear it

Fat fingers... Rack to carboy, add chemicals, and airlock it... Give it at least 3-4 days to clear up (of using the chitosan or isinglass whichever krs uses... Then you can filter.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to start clarifying tommorrow and will bottle in a week.

Fingers crossed :)

Back