Help with a Hoppy Red Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link44

Reaction score
Hey All!

This is my first post, but I've been reading up on here a lot since I started brewing. You guys have some great advice and I'd really appreciate some...

OK, so my wife and I have now successfully brewed two awesome beers (Brewers Best Scottish Ale and BB EPA). Both came out amazing! We were seriously shocked and encouraged by how good our first two came out. This is an awesome hobby and we're loving it! So we think we have the basic process down fairly well and want to get a little adventurous with our next brew.

We had this great Red IPA from Throwback Brewery in NH and wanted to try something similar. We're thinking about buying the brewers best kit and then hopping it up (both wet and dry). Is this feasible? What hops should we use and when should we add them? A local farm was selling some really nice Brewers Gold hops, so we have 4 ounces of them, but I'm not sure if that's the right type for this brew. I'm having trouble finding uses for Brewers Gold hops. Any advice? Thanks so much in advance! Brew on brewers!

As long as the wet hops are AA consistent with where they should be you can use almost any software. Just plug in your current recipe and then add the hops in the areas you want. Longer boil of hops=higher ibu's. I took a basic Red ale from More beer and used bravo in the 60 minute boil with Northern brewer at 30 min. At 95IBU's it was pretty hoppy. Just play with the numbers and you can get what you want. Perhaps even scaling back to 1 gallon batches would be helpful. Just split the brew into 5 separate brews, add different hops, take notes and report back as to which one was the best. From there, scale up to 5/10 gallons.

If you want to get involved in making your own recipes, I would check out beerformulator.com. It's a free and help site for recipe design. Cheers

Step one is to determine which hops they use in their Red IPA.

I'd be surprised if they used Brewers Gold hops.

Back