Help with a coopers mezican cerveza kit!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-randypan

Reaction score
Hi to all!

So I'm gonna make a Mexican cerveca lager kit by coopers, I'm relitively new to brewing and I haven't brewed in a while, the kits iv done before always have a bit of a dirty taste and I was thinking that it is the yeast with the kit not being of good quality so pointers on a good yeast to use on this kit would be appreciated also if any1 has any more ideas just to flavour the kit a bit more, I was thinking about pitting some fresh lime in it would that work and at what stage should I put it in??

Help needed!!

Thanks ahead my beer swilling comrades!!

What yeast did they give you with that one? The gold sachet that says "brewing yeast"? If it is,then it's ale yeast. 68-72F on that one. At the least,re-hydrate it. It'll go to work faster & cleaner.

I just done a coopers cervesa. I rehydrated the yeast in about 100 degree F tap water and it's chugging away at about 70 degrees F

I used dme instead of that dextrose and my kit tasted alot better. It was a lager but i'm sure it won't matter just use a light DME. And don't boil the extract alot of people make this mistake i'v come to relize. What i did was when i boiled the gallon of water the kit calls for i boiled the DME with that and added that to the fermenter. I also left it in the fermenter for allmost 3 weeks instead of the 6-7 days the kit said. I took a hydrometer test after 6 and 7 days it was done fermenting but cloudy and had off smell. Leaving it that extra 2 weeks cleared it up great. That yeast in the coopers kit is like super yeast i'v been reading. Mine was done fermenting 3-4 days almost. But like everyone says leave it be patient and let those yeast clean up after them selves. You'll thank your self in the long run for sure and get a much better tasting beer.

The Cerveza yeast is a lager/ale hybrid. Start fermentation at around 72F. If possible, slowly bring the fermenation temperature down below 60F.

The-randypan said:
How long should I hydrate that yeast for before adding it to the mix??

Cheers buddy.
according to the thread I read on it, you add your yeast to 100 F to 103 F tap water and let it set for about 15 min to bloom, then you you stir it and let it set another 15 min. I usually pitch it at that time but the directions said to add a litttle of your wart at a time to temper it to your wart temp. your supposed to pitch it within 30 min because it has special nutrients to give it a boost. I tried to answer your PM but it says your box is full.

The-randypan said:
So do u think that the yeast with the kit will be a good yeast to use?? How long a time period should It be to bring the temperature down to from 72 to 60??
Absolutely. The yeast is what makes the beer. Try to bring it down within 24 hours. Keep it there for at least 2 weeks.

The Cerveza doesn't really have any bitterness. That is the style. You might want to add a little finish hop to it. Maybe some hallatauer. If you're going to add lime, add it at drinking stage.

I posted here because your mailbox was full.

Back