HELP! Why is this happening? Some Foam, others Perfect!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trophy_Brew21

Reaction score
Last night I opened a bottle of my home brew, and it just turned all into foam, and started poring out of the bottle (second time this has happened, out of 25ish). 12 oz. bottle, got about 2 oz of beer, if that. All my other beers (in this same batch) have been a little foamy (i.e inch-ish of head) to perfect. Why did this happen? My only idea is, it was maybe a beer from the bottom of the bucket, so it had more yeast, to cause more carbonation?

The beer was in the fridge cooling for about 30-36 hours, if that helps? but that is about how long they are normally in there for anyways.

The unopened beers are still at room temperature, until i feel like drinking one, then put it in the fridge to cool down, to make the yeast go dormant. Could that be causing the issue?

I would like to get an understanding of why this might happen, Thanks!

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I primed with honey, so could that be part of the problem? Since I know honey can be inconsistent in sugar levels.

First things first, yeast makes extra sugar into carbonation. Extra yeast doesn't do anything but fill up the bottom of your bottle. I've had some foamy beers and they just needed to age a little longer so the Co2 could have a chance to become saturated in the liquid. I'd let them sit for at least another week or two. Afterwards, put a dozen in the fridge and give them a couple days. The cooler temperature will help the liquid absorb Co2 produced during your bottle conditioning better.

I've had this happen to me before as well. The only explanation I could come up with was that the priming sugar solution had not mixed well and there was more left at the bottom of the bucket. So the last few bottles may have had more priming sugar. The only other thing I could think of was that some of the bottles were not sanitized thoroughly. i.e. there was some kind of bug living in them that didn't get killed when I cleaned/sanitized them. ??? And 59 days after bottling, waiting a week won't do anything. Your bottles are all fully carbed.

Sounds good, with the information received. Is there anyway around it? So All my beers can be salvaged into my mouth, instead of the sink?

Uneven dispersal of priming sugar is the usual explanation for this phenomenon. The only solution is absolutely uniform dispersal of priming sugar throughout. Some make a syrup, add the syrup to the bottling bucked and stir for a long time. This exposed the beer to air. Others dose the syrup into the individual bottles just before capping. Probably problem there is forgetting to do it on some. There is/was a product called Primetabs , glucose tablet. One per bottle was supposed to be the correct dose. Guess you could forget those too (or forget you put one in and add another which would get you back to where you are today).

Back