Help, what to do with infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meni0n

Reaction score
Good day,

This is a Muntons Bitter coming on 3 weeks. I did a few hydrometer readings the last few days and today I opened it up and this is what I got.

attachment.php

I tasted it and it was fine. Should I quickly bottle it?

IMG_4390.jpg

I'd be concerned with bottle bombs. Spray the top with StarSan and rack into a secondary (leaving the ugly stuff behind). If the "broken ice" doesn't re-develop and your gravity reading stays consistent after a week or so, go ahead and bottle.

Guess something was not sanitized well? Hands, cup, whatever went into the bucket to get the sample? Or did you pour the sample back in? What happened?

I sanitized everything with starsan before I do anything. Possible source is I had a the krausen block the air lock and I only discovered it when I came home from work so it might have been like that for hours. SG was 1.040

So I just siphoned it to a secondary with lotsa starsan foam after I sanitized it.

It's done - ready to bottle - Take a Gravity reading to be sure.

Ice doesn't bother anything.

...how much volume of Starsan did you add? That might be a problem.

I'd be concerned about bottle bombs, if we are taking votes.

There was no off smell or off flavor but it might just be the beginning. Or should I not even bother keep it in the secondary and just dump it?

Since I was days from bottling it, should I just put it in my cold room to bring the temperature down since there is no fermentation left to do?

Analyze the crap out of it if you want, but if it tastes and smells good why would even think about dumping it???

The 1920s ad from Schitz is somewhat right..... If the Bitter went haywire, name it after a Belgian beer. Then, it will be OK.

Back