Help!! what do i do??? new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeCollegeStudent

Reaction score
I just went in and looked at my fermenter, in a 6.5 bucket. used 7 lb liquid malt extract, plus 15 ounce kicker of amber.
pitched safale s-04 yeast at 73 degrees.

Just went in and looked, and my airlock is brownish and bubbling more than one per second, like 75 bubbles per minute.

What should i do?? New brewer, should i worry about my top coming off, or should i put my drain hose on the airlock right now?

Thank you

Hrmm, keep an eye on it if you dont have the hoses to fashion a blow off, otherwise it may not be a bad idea to put a blow off on there. At the very least, when the major action is over, remove the airlock and santize it again.

Pol

ah, thank you very much, ive been keeping an eye on it for about 10 minutes now, and its not doing anything too bad. How long do you experienced believe before the major working is done?

Pol is right (as usual). If it bubbles into the airlock, use a blowoff. Otherwise, it sounds just fine! Fermentation will differ every time. Don't worry if it is fast or slow....yeast is a living thing. There personalities are all different.

Each brew is different, different malts, yeast, oxygenation... my krausen generally starts to fall after 36 hours... but it does vary. Is it s three piece airlock? If so, you CAN use a smaller piece of tubing and remove the "cap" that bobs up and down in the airlock and place the tube on the central plasitc tube in the airlock, the other end in a bucket of sanitizer. Keep an eye on it, dont want SWMBO to kick your crotch, that is worse than an explosion of beer!

Pol

Yea, it is a 3 piece airlock, just a normal one i guess, how many different ones are there?
Yea, my girlfriend would s*** a brick if i blew beer all over the carpet. Umm..... does this have the potential to seriously blow the top and spew pre-beer all over? or will the top just kinda come off a little and it run down the sides?

I have a garbage bag around it, with pretty much just the airlock sticking out of the top. Will that cover me until i catch on?

If it spews, it will spew out of the airlock hole... the airlock gets clogged, the CO2 then blows it out with some pressure and beer... Id think about cinching the garbage bag over the bucket and airlock until you are out of the woods. Or, you may not be getting ANY for a while.

Pol

Back