Help Troubleshooting Honeywell Furnace Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
I made a direct fired brutus style brew stand using the honeywell furnace valves. So far. The system seems to work but I am having a hard time troubleshooting the honeywell furnace valves. I'm supplying them with 10.5" wc propane. I finally got the pilot lights adjusted so they are about half blue and half yellow. I really wanted to get them all blue, but by the time I adjust the pilot light low enough to do that, it's not strong enough to keep the thermocouple hot. What is kind of strange is that as soon as the burner kicks in, my pilot light goes to 5 inches tall and completely yellow. The burner flame stays blue with yellow tips. Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this?

Here's a picture of my stand

20170824_200043.jpg

Looking at the original pics it sure seems that the low pressure reg is plumbed backwards. The vented end is the downstream end but there it looks like the vented end is being fed from the primary regulator...

Cheers!

Looking at the original pics it sure seems that the low pressure reg is plumbed backwards. The vented end is the downstream end but there it looks like the vented end is being fed from the primary regulator...

Cheers!

The vent is on the upper half of the regulator, which could be rotated in any direction. Upstream and downstream both are normally on the lower half of the regulator, and orientation of the vent is meaningless.............. I was actually wondering if it was possible to plumb the furnace valve in backward and still get a pilot and get it to open and close?? That would account for why the pilot would take off and burn tall when the valve opened. An internal circuit must connect from the output side to the pilot somehow for the flow to increase once the valve is opened. I don't know why there would be such a circuit, and it would have to have a check valve to avoid bleeding fuel when the valve was off, but it sure sounds like that's what's happening.

H.W.

The vent is on the upper half of the regulator, which could be rotated in any direction.
My four regulators have the vent downstream and can't be rotated.

An internal circuit must connect from the output side to the pilot somehow for the flow to increase once the valve is opened.
All my furnace valves require a LP kit if used with propane. The pilot's orifice needs to be changed too for propane and the pressure can be adjusted at the furnace valve.

Back