Help Troubleshooting Broken Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought 4 kegs. For the most part, they all work except the one holding my Double IPA which is making me pretty sad.

Keg is carbed, I reduce PSI to 2.5, hook up faucet tap and pull and nothing comes out just a few bits of beer left from the other keg I had hooked up moments before (a wheat beer).

I increase the IPA keg to 30PSI, still nothing comes out. The same beer tube works on all 3 other kegs and I've tried the other working tubes (all 4 of my serving tubes) on the Double IPA keg and nothing comes out.

So it would appear the OUT connection is busted?

How else can I test this and, how do I fix this issue? My Double IPA smells so amazing but I have no idea what it tastes like other than the sample I had when taking an FG reading.

:mad:

You said that it is carbed. How did you Carb it? Also, did you dry hop it and if so did you use a hop bag? Did you dry hop in the keg? Sorta sounds like the dip tube might be clogged. Have you switched out the posts from one of your other kegs to see if that makes a difference?

You said that it is carbed. How did you Carb it? Also, did you dry hop it and if so did you use a hop bag? Did you dry hop in the keg? Sorta sounds like the dip tube might be clogged. Have you switched out the posts from one of your other kegs to see if that makes a difference?

Carbed using Priming Sugar over 2 weeks...had to release some pressure every couple of days. Not sure what the carb level is now as I can't pour from it.

I dry hopped in the primary fermenter using pellets. Used a siphone from fermenter to keg and got some trub but no more than a quarter finger high of it just based on how much was taken from the carboy (not much.

"posts"?

How do you switch them, just a wrench? If the tube is clogged, how do I check to see without pouring the beer out?

Hook up your gas QD to the liquid out and hit it with 20 psi...sounds to me like a clogged dip tube....this should push out the clog

You guys are absolutely right

Zy0Zs.jpg

Jeez. What a relief. Tired of buying kegerator parts. Looks like, after I cleared it, it got clogged again half way into pouring about 6 ounces. So I guess I should just keep clearing it until it stops getting clogged. Hopefully this won't take too long.

Either your tube is clogged in which case hooking CO2 to OUT post should blow it out........or...........trub has made it up to the poppet valve in your out post.
I've had this happen and the only way to cure it was to remove the post and clean it.
How do you switch them, just a wrench? If the tube is clogged, how do I check to see without pouring the beer out?

A deep socket works best but you can do it with a box end wrench. There are 2 different sizes, I believe 11/16 and 13/16 but not positive.
Once you remove post you can get ahold of the dip tube and pull it out. It is good practice to do this routinely and clean with a dip tube brush. It is also a good practice to replace the oring on the diptube. they are like 10 cents. HOT TIP:......I used a small tubing cutter to cut about 3/4" from the bottom of all of my diptubes. The base of the cornies are convex and the standard tubes go to the very bottom. It doesn't take much trub to accumulate to the base of the tube.
Since I cut my tubes I have not had a plugged tube or poppet. I may lose a cup of beer but it saves so much hassle.

EDIT: I type slow.....I c u found the problem. Trimming the tube will help that problem.........

Either your tube is clogged in which case hooking CO2 to OUT post should blow it out........or...........trub has made it up to the poppet valve in your out post.
I've had this happen and the only way to cure it was to remove the post and clean it.

A deep socket works best but you can do it with a box end wrench. There are 2 different sizes, I believe 11/16 and 13/16 but not positive.
Once you remove post you can get ahold of the dip tube and pull it out. It is good practice to do this routinely and clean with a dip tube brush. It is also a good practice to replace the oring on the diptube. they are like 10 cents. HOT TIP:......I used a small tubing cutter to cut about 3/4" from the bottom of all of my diptubes. The base of the cornies are convex and the standard tubes go to the very bottom. It doesn't take much trub to accumulate to the base of the tube.
Since I cut my tubes I have not had a plugged tube or poppet. I may lose a cup of beer but it saves so much hassle.

EDIT: I type slow.....I c u found the problem. Trimming the tube will help that problem.........

Thanks! Good to know on trimming the tube. I wasn't aware of that. That's a great tip.

Glad you got it figured out. On cutting your dip tubes, as with everything, people have different opinions on that. Some say don't do it because you will leave some drinkable beer in the bottom of the keg. Those that are proponents of cutting say that it is a nominal amount left in the bottom and that is cancelled out by the fact that you don't get any sediment in your first couple of pours. I have not cut my tubes and have not had any problems with clogged tubes. It is probably a wash either way. I think that cold crashing, which I do, prior to kegging makes a big difference in getting trub free beer into the keg and makes for a much clearer beer to drink. Don't know if you have the fridge space to cold crash or not but if you do, give it a shot. Let us know how the IPA tastes too.

Back