Help replicating Market Street Brewery D'Artangnan clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
So my buddy was in upstate NY last week and stopped in to Market Street Brewery in Corning, NY. He tried their D'Artangnan Dark British Ale and loved it. He knows I brew, so suggested that we make a batch of it to test out. Some of what I know about the beer is below:

OG - 1.060
Alc/Vol - 6.5%
IBU - 28
Grains used - Pale, Crystal, Victory, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, Black

From looking at other websites, the reviews on Beer Advocate are pretty mixed. The style according to Market Street is a British Mild, which does not seem right at all. OG is way to high, Alc/vol too high as well. Seems as though it is more inline with a Robust Porter, which is what I am using as my recipe in Beer Smith.

So far what I have is:

9.0# UK 2 Row
1.5# Victory
.50# C-20
.15# Black
.15# Chocolate
.15# Roasted

1 oz Goldings for 60 minutes, then .75 oz at 30 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles at 5 minutes

Some type of British Ale yeast.

This is the first recipe that I am trying to come up with on my own, so I am not really sure what I am doing to be honest. I tried to go off of a basic outline in the recipe section for Porters. What can I do to this recipe to make it better? According to Beer Smith this comes in at an estimated gravity of 1.060 with 28 IBU, which is right on what Market Street says. I feel like the color should be a bit darker though for a porter, so maybe I should bump up the chocolate or black malt. Has anyone had this beer before, or know what else I could be doing differently to get it a bit closer? Any help here would be appreciated. I love Porters, so would like to try this and see how it turns out.

Anyone with any insight into this? I realize most people have not had this beer before, including myself, so it is hard to say how to replicate it. But does anyone have any advice on the general recipe above? Am I not including something that I should, are the proportions of the grains correct? This is my first recipe from scratch, so would like to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I was going to mash at 154 for 60 minutes. Does that temperature seem right?

Back