Help please.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno24

Reaction score
We bought a friend a wine making kit for x-mas and they picked up their first kit and inside the kit was a clear liquid that is used during the making of the wine (stage #4) and on the package it indicates that the product was made from shells of shell fish. My friend has severe allergies to shell fish. It was chinocan or something like that...I apologize for not knowing what the name was for sure. Is there an alternative product so my friend can make the wine?

Thanks

I was told 1/2 egg white to same amount water although I was also told that what is people are allergic to is not present in that clarifier. Good luck.

I use gelatin in my beer and it gets crystal clear. I would assume that this could be used in wine as well.

Many wines will fall clear just fine without any fining agents.... you just gotta give them the time they need...

The wine will likely be just fine without it.

Thanks

If you aren't concerned with clarity, skip it. With proper fermentation and resting, your wine will be clear.

I have read an interview from a company representative that makes the stuff, and he stated their manufacturing process nuetralizes the problem. But why take the chance? I agree with the comments above. You can use gelatin or rack until clear. Or you can just not worry how pretty it is and drink it.

It will taste good all the same.

.... Or you can just not worry how pretty it is and drink it.

It will taste good all the same.

+1 Drop the yeast and what ever is left, is left.

I can't eat much shell fish either. Some other finning agents are made with clay and some with volcanic rock, but they add trace amounts of heavy metals to the wine from what I read.

yeah, some good ones are gelatin (even the common Knox Gelatin is fine) and also Bentonite clay. That's all I ever use because too many family/friends have strange allergies to there's no point causing harm when simple, cheap and effective alternatives are readily available.

You would think that there would be a warning on the box indacting that a product inside the box contains shell fish......just to prevent any issues.

Back