Help on conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I didn't imply anyone's design was inferior, my remarks are purely based on fact, so I'm not sure where you came up with that one.

Furthermore, from all the feedback we get, having the coil in the sidewall actually makes it easier to clean. Without the coil mounted to the sidewall, you have to remove it to CIP and then clean the coil manually. We encourage that BME users CIP since you virtually never to have to remove any of the weldless fittings.

thats the bit I am talking about. That and the mention of the extra PSI capacity being useless

I think you could look at any public outlet, including social media, do some heavy contemplation and see exactly what I'm talking about. Not just about us, but other homebrew manufacturers as well.

Maybe so but I didn't see it in this thread nor have I seen them do it in others. (I know that doesn't mean it didn't happen)

I must be getting you wrong, because that is exactly how your coming off; as a shill. Just look at your response history on this thread alone.

My response history in this thread hasn't said one bad thing about your product. I just believe Spike's conical will better fit my wants and needs better than yours will, and i'm excited about it. That is why your conical isn't sitting in my garage already.

Yeah, you should look at my post history in total because over half of my post have been me touting the benfits of your Mash Tun and defending it against people saying its over priced.

thats the bit I am talking about. That and the mention of the extra PSI capacity being useless

Maybe so but I didn't see it in this thread nor have I seen them do it in others. (I know that doesn't mean it didn't happen)

My response history in this thread hasn't said one bad thing about your product. I just believe Spike's conical will better fit my wants and needs better than yours will, and i'm excited about it. That is why your conical isn't sitting in my garage already.

Yeah, you should look at my post history in total because over half of my post have been me touting the benfits of your Mash Tun and defending it against people saying its over priced.

I dont think the TC cap mounted coil design is inferior in the least. If that were the case, we wouldn't be offering them on our Brite Tanks. We've been selling lid mounted coils for the last 5 months or so, and before that I recall them first being seen on the Brewhemoth.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/brite-tanks/products/chiller-coil-jacket-10-gal-brite-tank

If you read closer, I was merely referencing the feedback that we have gotten about our side mounted chiller coils from BME Chronical owners that CIP. Which came in reference to a comment that our side mount design was inferior to a lid cap mounted design. I'll be the first one to say, we make both, and both have proven to be sound, sanitary designs.

On the pressure capabilities, I was questioning whether or not a small step up in pressure handling is to anyone's benefit. From all of the widely accepted brewing and fermenting practices that I am familiar with, a small step up in pressure is either here nor there. I was NOT implying that a step up in pressure is an inferior design, as you were pointing out.

The primary reason we have begun posting publicly on these forums is to stop some of the misinformation that spreads from people that do shill other manufacturers products. While their offering may fit your needs better, we don't have any issues with that. What we take issue with is guys that would put down ours or anyone elses products with comments not based in fact. That is something the entire community should rally against.

@Ss_Michael if that was the spirit of your comments and not just a pissing contest with another manufacturer then I apologize.

It just came off as over the top confrontational and d*ck (ish). I will just assume I put meaning and inflection where it wasn't.

Cheers

@Ss_Michael if that was the spirit of your comments and not just a pissing contest with another manufacturer then I apologize.

It just came off as over the top confrontational and d*ck (ish). I will just assume I put meaning and inflection where it wasn't.

Cheers

It definitely is the spirit of my representation of our company, and I'll certainly try to do a better job of crafting my posts to sound less "d*ck (ish)"! ;-))

I just want to make sure everything is fairly represented. :mug:

Cheers,
Michael

I completely agree, which is why you probably shouldn't have interjected with a response about your product's theoretical future features when I was addressing someone elses concerns about one of our products.

Furthermore, if you make a policy of antagonistic and discouraging remarks about other manufacturer's products in public outlets, which you clearly do, you should expect a spirited, fact based response from time-to-time.

Just as all of our products work as advertised. Indeed, we can agree on one thing, we'll let the market decide who has the best stuff! :mug:

I looked back through the thread and didn't see where I interjected. I was responding to questions directed to us. I do apologize if you were offended in anyway however.

-Tim

I just see passion from brewers for the products they use or may use in the future and the same passion from manufacturers for their products and their features. One thing I try to keep in mind is that people make their living working for companies that sell homebrew products. Fairness to those people is important. I think we have all seen (not in this thread though) willful slandering of products. Maybe, as homebrewer's, we need to collectively hold one another accountable for first hand accounts only or disclosure of what we own and have used. I just posted last night on the Cornical, I hate the thing, and can't for a minute see it being successful. As I reflect, I should have qualified my comments with the fact that I've never used it, touched it, or even seen it in person. In that way, potential buyers could at least weight my opinion.

You know I would've laughed at this comment a few months ago. Thinking why would AB Inbev have any interest in a company like theirs, but with their recent acquisition of Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies the comment is no longer laughable.

@Ss_Michael and @SpikeBrewing you guys represent the new high end homebrew equipment among a few others. I know everyone has their price so if you sellout at least get a good one ;-)

You're doing gods work. Keep it up.

No need to apologize that thing is the worst idea ever. $500 to flip my beer upside down after its fermented?!?!? Seriously how could anyone who brews beer think that's an OK thing to do?

I just see passion from brewers for the products they use or may use in the future and the same passion from manufacturers for their products and their features. One thing I try to keep in mind is that people make their living working for companies that sell homebrew products. Fairness to those people is important. I think we have all seen (not in this thread though) willful slandering of products. Maybe, as homebrewer's, we need to collectively hold one another accountable for first hand accounts only or disclosure of what we own and have used. I just posted last night on the Cornical, I hate the thing, and can't for a minute see it being successful. As I reflect, I should have qualified my comments with the fact that I've never used it, touched it, or even seen it in person. In that way, potential buyers could at least weight my opinion.

I don't own any Spike equipment, just the Ss Brewtech Chronical that I bought with my hard-earned cash. I'm not a shill, and I've read the entire thread and didn't see anyone coming off as a shill. I also didn't see anyone from Spike brewing interjecting, just comments about upcoming features on their stuff. I commented on my experience using my Ss Brewtech Chronical to try and help a fellow homebrewer make a decision. I never said the product was bad, but in a forum about brewing equipment I feel like we should be free to critique our stuff without being accused of shilling. If the OP thinks my observations are not significant he or she is free to get the Ss Brewtech Chronical today.

I completely agree, which is why you probably shouldn't have interjected with a response about your product's theoretical future features when I was addressing someone elses concerns about one of our products.

Furthermore, if you make a policy of antagonistic and discouraging remarks about other manufacturer's products in public outlets, which you clearly do, you should expect a spirited, fact based response from time-to-time.

Just as all of our products work as advertised. Indeed, we can agree on one thing, we'll let the market decide who has the best stuff! :mug:

Minus the multiple people in this thread stating the conical barely holds 1psi :p

Actually, I didn't imply anyone's design was inferior, my remarks are purely based on fact, so I'm not sure where you came up with that one.

I think you could look at any public outlet, including social media, do some heavy contemplation and see exactly what I'm talking about. Not just about us, but other homebrew manufacturers as well.

I must be getting you wrong, because that is exactly how your coming off; as a shill. Just look at your response history in this thread alone.

I must be wrong but weren't you posting under 'mfabe' as a shill for SS with all your "honest product reviews"?? And a few people called you out with no response? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580059&page=2

I just bought one of your kettles but I really don't like what I'm seeing from SS in this post (as well as a few other sketchy decisions).

I as reflect on it, mfabe was just doing his job though full disclosure wasn't explicit and maybe shoulda been. That said, in retrospect, with a user name like mfabe, he wan't hiding it.

Sketchy decisons? I'm about to spend some sizable chucks on SS BT equipment in the next months so if there is something I should know, I'd appreciate a few details.

The PRV issue is so simply to fix, I've had the 1.0 to 1.5 psi valve release and fixed it by putting a washer or 2 between the nut and spring to precompress it a bit more. This cost me 18 cents.

I like the innovation I'm seeing out of them which has me learning towards a few of their products. I'm intrigued by the new brewpot and in the market for another conical. Spike seems great, especially on customization. I want to hold out for their conical but it seems to be continually delayed. Not having it for the xmas season must be a huge negative for them. I don't see true new product innovation from them.

Blichmann has been an innovator but lately some of it seems aimed towards a very limited market or at least a different market then the one I'm in (experienced, 10 plus gallon, all grain) meaning items like quickCarb, Cornicals, etc don't appeal to me.

Minus the multiple people in this thread stating the conical barely holds 1psi :p

I must be wrong but weren't you posting under 'mfabe' as a shill for SS with all your "honest product reviews"?? And a few people called you out with no response? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580059&page=2

I just bought one of your kettles but I really don't like what I'm seeing from SS in this post (as well as a few other sketchy decisions).

Inkbird sorta did the same thing... Only he joined under many aliases, posting and touted these "great new products" he claimed to discover and pretended to actually be using them to brew which he later admitted to being fake when he stated he had never actually done any homebrewing.. At least SS showed and described the product in use.. Im sure others here bribe others to give positive reviews by giving them free products if they give a good review here in turn.

I definitely was not hiding anything, virtually all of my mfabe posts were from before I joined the Ss team. Looking at my reviews of their products back then, nothing was shilled, and all of that gear was bought and paid for.

That is the primary reason I dont really post under that account any longer. I just did a quick update on the Monster Mill thread a few weeks ago, which doesn't have anything to do with a product that Ss makes.

I just leave it there, since many of my original posts are highly trafficked and useful to home brewers. In fact, I think I put alot of great ideas forth before I joined the Ss team, that I believe helped more people than it hurt as your suggesting. I still get PM's all the time from guys asking about my ideas, and how they can implement them in their own home brewery. That is why I want to continue to actively post here, to help new and experienced home brewers.

Its really not anything subversive or deceptive, there was life before Ss, and now I have an account to post under to represent my current arrangement with them. Its pretty cards face up, the one mistake I could point to was not shouting from the rooftops that I am the same person, for that I apologize.

Cheers,
Michael

you can get a fast ferment much cheaper on amazon. Under $100

that right there would make me choose this over all the others. Half the price for the exact same thing, sounds good to me.

Plus the SS bucket does not have a valve on the bottom of the conical. Just a drain valve up from the bottom. That kind of kills the purpose of a conical. The fast ferment is the most functional of all of them, and by far the cheapest. cant go wrong

I definitely was not hiding anything, virtually all of my mfabe posts were from before I joined the Ss team. Looking at my reviews of their products back then, nothing was shilled, and all of that gear was bought and paid for.

That is the primary reason I dont really post under that account any longer. I just did a quick update on the Monster Mill thread a few weeks ago, which doesn't have anything to do with a product that Ss makes.

I just leave it there, since many of my original posts are highly trafficked and useful to home brewers. In fact, I think I put alot of great ideas forth before I joined the Ss team, that I believe helped more people than it hurt as your suggesting. I still get PM's all the time from guys asking about my ideas, and how they can implement them in their own home brewery. That is why I want to continue to actively post here, to help new and experienced home brewers.

Its really not anything subversive or deceptive, there was life before Ss, and now I have an account to post under to represent my current arrangement with them. Its pretty cards face up, the one mistake I could point to was not shouting from the rooftops that I am the same person, for that I apologize.

Cheers,
Michael

I don't think shouting from the rooftops is necessary but a few people specifically asked the question and it was ignored multiple times. This implies to me that something is being hidden/blurred. It would just be nice to note when the lines were officially blurred. Just my opinion which I know is meaningless :p My new SS kettle did work pretty good this weekend though.

I don't think shouting from the rooftops is necessary but a few people specifically asked the question and it was ignored multiple times. This implies to me that something is being hidden/blurred. It would just be nice to note when the lines were officially blurred. Just my opinion which I know is meaningless :p My new SS kettle did work pretty good this weekend though.

I definitely agree, I think I could/should have been more proactive about letting the community know to separate conflicts of interest.

When I started posting, I didn't think my posts would be that widely subscribed to, so It was an oversight on my part. It was never my intention to hide anything, and I apologize if it felt that way.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the kettle! ;-))

Hi Spike,
I live in Chile and I'm eager to order from you my first 1bbl-fermenter out of three, I'm crossing my fingers you are able to ship abroad.
Cheers,
Roberto

Back