Help on Beer Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
So, we brewed a really special beer, and since it was only our 5th brew, and it was ridiculous recipe, we screwed it up a little but... it ended being the best beer I never fu//ing tasted in my life. No joke.

After reading many many BJCP styles guidelines, we ended in the ''Speciality Beer'' category. Pretty boring. Just for fun, how would you call it.

Here the original recipe, the final results, and the tasting notes.

For about 3.5 gallons

4.8kg (10.58 lbs) Maris Otter
1.2Kg (2.65 lbs) Munich 10L
0.45Kg (1 lb) Carapils
0.30Kg (0.66 lbs) Chocolate
0.15Kg (0.33 lbs) Biscuit Malt
0.15Kg (0.33 lbs) Special-B Malt

0.45Kg (1 lb) Candi Sugar

40g (1.41oz) Nugget FWH 75m
18g (0.63oz) Fuggles 20m
18g (0.63oz) Fuggles 7.5m

Yeast - WLP530 - Belgian Abbey Ale

It was planned for around 14% ABV, 80 IBUs, 70 EBC
We called it at first Big Black Barleywine ''Vin d'orge noir''

BUT, we were little experienced, we had poor/bad equipment, so we ended with crappy efficiency, we lost a lot of volume for X reasons, etc, etc...

Finally... we had.
OG 1.102
FG 1.025
ABV 10.3%
EBC.... Black as night
IBUs... I guess around 90

Tasting notes, at bottling, 3-4 months after brew-day.

Smell: A bit of hop at first. Really Chocolatey/Caramel/Butterscotch. A tiny bit of alcool.

Mouthfeel: Silky, round, grainy, ''mouthfull'' sensation.

Taste: Chocolatey, no doubt. Full complex maltiness/sweetness. A nice taste of... caramel...raisin..something like that. Alcool burn a little down the throat.

It is not as chocolate/coffee as an Imperial Stout, it is more on the Porter side of ''blackness''.

Aftertaste: a bitter hoppy aftertaste with a remain of alcool and sweet maltiness.

We definitly taste the Belgian yeast impact. There is a belgian profile in the smeel and taste. It is not roasted/torrefied/coffeeish enough to be called a stout. It is way too strong in ABV and in hopness to be called a Porter... It's kind of a Barleywine... but too much chocolatey to be, and maybe not bitter enough. The closest we find is Baltic Porter... but it's not a lager, and it's way more bitter/hoppy.

So...

-Triple/Quadruple Belgian Porter?

What d'ya think?

How about a Dark Belgian Strong Ale? 18E in the BJCP guidelines.

I don't think you could call it a stout, barleywine or porter with the Belgian yeast character.

How about a Dark Belgian Strong Ale? 18E in the BJCP guidelines.

I don't think you could call it a stout, barleywine or porter with the Belgian yeast character.

It might be close... but still a bit too hoppy. BDSA are usually not hoppy at all, and doesn't show any roastiness at all.

Back