Help on a cereal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Howdy folks, I'm looking to make a cap'n crunch stout this weekend for an upcoming competition. I have a really solid milk stout recipe, and my plan is to basically add 2 boxes of peanut butter crunch about 3 days into fermentation. Either that, or I might do count chocula and frankenberries if they're available.

Who all has tried adding cereal, and how did it turn out? I did a few searches and see people mashing with the cereal, but that seems like the boil would drive off all the aromatics you're looking for.

Any help or input would be appreciated!

Thanks

I feel like adding it post boil will be kinda messy. The cereal will break down and make super cloudy beer best case scenario. Why don’t you try adding it in the mash and taste the wort before/during fermentation and if you think it needs more cereal flavor you can always add it then.

I have a really solid milk stout recipe, and my plan is to basically add 2 boxes of peanut butter crunch about 3 days into fermentation.

I could see that working out. Not sure what size box you are talking about, but 2 boxes in the fermenter seems like a lot. I would think that around 8 to 12 oz would be enough for a 5 gal batch. I think a fresh box of cereal would be sterile enough to not worry about sanitization. You will probably need to give it some extra time to settle out.

I brewed that batch linked above where I added 1 lb of cereal to the mash for a 2.5 gal batch. I felt like I got the corn-cereal flavor in the final beer but not a lot of the chocolate and very little peanut butter (though the organic cereal I used did not really have a lot of chocolate or peanut butter flavors to start with). The beer turned out good enough to win 1st in the competition I brewed it for (just a small club comp with maybe 12 entries).

Latest posts

Back