HELP!! Not sure what I wound up with here.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SassyBoots

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am going to make this as quick as i can.

I made a batch of homemade rhubarb wine last fall. Fermentation stopped...and i let it sit and sit and sit and sit....until now. Yup I know, stupid of me. Its still very sweet(not cloying sweet, sort of like a port, but not quite as strong. In my mind it tastes ok.)You can also really feel the alcohol "burn" if you will, when you taste it. It just reminds of a a mild port wine. I cannot get the fermentation going again. I've tried energizer, adding more activated yeast, and making a starter. Raising the temp. Stirring. Nothing works. Soooooooo

1. I clearly waited too long to get it to ferment again.
2. The alcohol is killing my yeast.

Is this still safe to drink, or should I dump it? I actually don't mind the taste. I was thinking of mixing it with soda over ice, or on its own over ice.....as long as it aint about to kill me.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try? Or should I just chalk this up to "don't be a ******* and leave the wine sit for six months on the lees because you forgot to restart the fermentation".

Going to the corner with a dunce cap on. With a glass of wine.

Hope someone has some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Yes. It might just be done. If you don't mind it, enjoy it! :mug:

Next time, just use a hydrometer.

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate it. No, I don't mind the taste. At least this way I don't have to worry about sweetening it. I haven't tested lately to see where I'm at(it was below where it should have been before...I just had other things going on and kept putting off trying to jump start the fermentation again)I think it tastes fine. Very cloudy at the moment, so it needs to clear(probably more since i added yet more yeast lol)but to me its just a comforting, happy little drink. I actually heated some and added spices as its chilly and wet in Edmonton right now(which we need desperately)and it seemed like a nice night for some warm spiced wine. And I'm too lazy to go to the liquor store. And I wanted to try it warm, lol. Its lip smacking sticky(like a sherry)but not gross, if that makes sense. Hmm. I may actually be onto something lol. Rhubarb sherry. I have a ton that grows in my backyard.

I'm thinking once I can clear it should be ok to bottle and let age. OR......if you were me because of the remaining sugar, would you just tap it out of the carboy(hehehehe)when you wanted some? I'm just hoping it won't up and decide to try to ferment when I bottle. Had an Apple wine do that to me...started fermenting again when I bottled, for some strange reason. What a mess. Love these winemaking adventures though. I'm not being sarcastic, I really do. I made a great sour cherry wine last year as well.

Thanks again guys!!! Also open to anyone else who'd like to answer :)

Back