help needed with my new apt's stove burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apcesquire

Reaction score
so tried to start my second brew last monday in an apt i just moved into. the stove for this new apt has fancy burners that are on the same plane as the stove surface (so they are not raised from the unheated portion of the stove...). the 5 gallon kettle i used to boil the wart had very little area of contact with the burners because the center must be slighly indented. therefore, i had a lot of trouble getting a contistant boil. any ideas on how to alleviate this problem? i could try to flatten out the bottom of the kettle, put something in between the kettle and the burner or use something other than the stove for boiling the wart... any ideas?

thanks in advance!

apcesquire said:
or use something other than the stove for boiling the wart... any ideas!

I suggest boiling your wart with a turkey fryer. This is much faster and easier that dealing with the stove.

Kai

yeah, suppose that's the safest bet. was just hoping not to have to put any more on a monetary investment in my second batch. the kettle i have is pretty nice, so can maybe try to find a turkey fryer burner only to save some money.

thanks for the help.

But don't try using a turkey fryer indoors. Using a propane cooker indoors produces large amounts of CO2.

For the type of stove that you have, I think you need to use pans with a machined flat base for cooking as well as brewing.

-a.

Also, many landlords might get pretty incensed if you start using a turkey fryer on your patio or especially inside. They are major insurance company fire hazards. Make sure propane grills/fryers aren't a big no-no in your lease, as I've had to sign separate addendum sheets to a lease that explictly state "no gas or charcoal grills" or no deposit back at the end of the lease.
Your best bet is to find a new pot. I got one at Wal-Mart (yeah, yeah they are bad actors but their stuff is cheap for a grad student) for $44 and it seems very well made and should last me forever or at least until I outgrow it into all grain or full boils.

Levers101 said:
Also, many landlords might get pretty incensed if you start using a turkey fryer on your patio or especially inside. They are major insurance company fire hazards. Make sure propane grills/fryers aren't a big no-no in your lease, as I've had to sign separate addendum sheets to a lease that explictly state "no gas or charcoal grills" or no deposit back at the end of the lease.
Your best bet is to find a new pot. I got one at Wal-Mart (yeah, yeah they are bad actors but their stuff is cheap for a grad student) for $44 and it seems very well made and should last me forever or at least until I outgrow it into all grain or full boils.
I've never understood apartments that will let you use a charcoal grill but balk at gas grills. Fire is fire, regardless of it's source. You are just as likely to have an explosion using charcoal and lighter fluid (especially when you consider the number of folks who squirt the lighter fluid into the flame to "get it going") as you are using gas.

Back