Help, need help I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strut371

Reaction score
I'm real new to this, first timer. I mixed up a 5 gallon batch of mandarin orange from canned fruit that was packed in light syrup on Sunday. Yesterday I sprinkled the wine yeast in it and checked the S.G. and it was 1.080. Today I stired it and lightley squeezed the stranner bag and did not notice anything happening so I checked the S.G. again, this time it was 1.090. What can I be doing wrong? Any help, please.

I'm real new to this, first timer. I mixed up a 5 gallon batch of mandarin orange from canned fruit that was packed in light syrup on Sunday. Yesterday I sprinkled the wine yeast in it and checked the S.G. and it was 1.080. Today I stired it and lightley squeezed the stranner bag and did not notice anything happening so I checked the S.G. again, this time it was 1.090. What can I be doing wrong? Any help, please.

Well, it's not possible for the SG to go up. One of the readings is wrong. That's ok, though. One thing you can check is when you take a hydrometer reading, you should "spin" the hydrometer to make sure there aren't any gas bubbles underneath it. Also, check the temperature. If your hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees, you have to look at the chart to adjust the reading if the must is at a different temperature (and usually it is, if it's at room temperature). So, check the temperature of the must and then recheck the SG and then let us know what both are and we can tell you where to go from there.

:( New to this wine making thing. I mixed up a 5-gallon batch on Sunday. Mandrain orange, it was packed in light syrup. Yesterday I sprinkled the wine yeast on it and checked the S.G. and it was 1.080. Today I checked it and did not notice it doing anything so I stirred it and squeezed the stranner bag lightley and checked the S.G. again and it was 1.090. Can I have do anything wrong? I followed the instructions.

I don't have anything to check the temperature at this time so I'll need to go buy one. I thought it should look bubbley or something.

Well sounds like you might have a way for the SG to rise. Do you know if fermentation has actually started or not? If it hasn't or it is still quite slow, squeezing the bag could have released more sugar/syrup that wasn't in solution prior.

Bubbly? Well, maybe I guess. The only way to know if fermentation is actually occurring though is by hydrometer readings. The hydrometer is only accurate if the temperature is adjusted, though. If you took the first SG at 56 degrees, and the second at 78 degrees, you could have a difference like you're showing, but as Tusch said, if you squeezed the bag and released more sugars that's a factor, too.

Wait about 2 more days and then check the SG again. It should be less than 1.090, and you'll know that it's fermenting if it is.

Back