Help my beer is smokey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizzt

Reaction score
I tried to make 10 gallons of Bass ale and it has a smokey flavor and it's horrible. I have a 3500 watt biab system and I had a ton of issues. While recycling the wort through the grain I spilled some then filled it back with too much water. Then boiled it back down before hops I fermented in 2 different 6 gallon buckets then kegged 5 gallons and bottled 5 gallons. It has been 2 months and the beer tastes like charcoal. Is there any hope for the beer if dump it. Also any ideas what the heck went wrong.

Ingredients
7.0 lbs. (3.2 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) flaked maize
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.75 oz. (21 g) roasted barley (300 °L)
8.0 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins) (0.89 oz./25 g of 9% alpha acids)
2.0 AAU Northern Brewer hops (15 mins) (0.22 oz./6.3 g of 9% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
1/8 tsp. yeast nutrients (15 mins)
White Labs WLP023 (Burton Ale) yeast (1.25 qt./~1.25 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Sounds like the wort scorched. I am not familiar with electric brewing setups, but it sounds like you need to find a way to distribute the heat better.

But it's difficult to diagnose these things from afar. I'd take it to the local homebrew shop and have them diagnose it while you pick up ingredients for your next batch.

I'd agree with that. If you didn't use any smoked malts in your grain bill, i'm betting you've scorched the wort at some point during the brewing process. I'm afraid you might not be able to fix it.

I'd also suspect the heat elements. That said, a peaty type smoke can also be indicative of wild yeast which can throw phenolic compounds that are smokey.

So here's the question. I have a 2000 watt high density element that is very easy to clean and always looks new before I start a batch. I have a 1500 watt low density element that I can never ever get clean and has baked on schmutz. Do I replace the 1500 thinking the schmutz is causing the flavor or replace the 2000 watt thinking that is scorching the wort. Side note I have made successful batches in the past when the elements were clean.

Drizzt said:
So here's the question. I have a 2000 watt high density element that is very easy to clean and always looks new before I start a batch. I have a 1500 watt low density element that I can never ever get clean and has baked on schmutz. Do I replace the 1500 thinking the schmutz is causing the flavor or replace the 2000 watt thinking that is scorching the wort. Side note I have made successful batches in the past when the elements were clean.

I have had good luck soaking my element in a mixture of 1oz starsan and 2quarts water for a day...after soaking all the black burnt on stuff cleans off easily

Everyone stated peaty type malt but you said charcoal which leads me to believe that its the roasted barley.
.75 is not to much for this batch but your mash pH might have been to high which would of drawn off more tannins.
The charcoal taste you have is it just overly bitter or is it like when you suck on a tea bag bitter?

Have you use roasted barley before in any recipes?

I have used roasted barley before a few times. My neighbor also brews an has been for a few years. Even he said the beer has a major issue. The taste has not relented after 2 months it's still as strong as ever.

Back