Help me with my IPA hop schedule? Nugget/Citra/Green Bullet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePetZoo

Reaction score
Hey, nerds!

Would some of you pros give me some advice on my next batch? It's a 5 gallon extra IPA:

Yeast is US-05.

1 lb carafoam, 1/2 lb biscuit, 1/2 lb crystal 20 steeping at 150 for 20 minutes. Main sugs will be 6 lbs Briess Pilsen Light DME, 16 oz light brown sugar, 1 oz dark brown sugar.

3 lbs of the DME at 60, the rest will be within the last 15ish minutes.

The hops I have for this are 1 oz Nugget, 2 oz Green Bullet, 5 oz Citra. I'm thinking 2 or 3 oz will be for dry hopping, maybe 2 in the secondary with 1 in the keg.

How would you schedule these hops?

Thanks, buddies!

I've probably already missed your brew day, but just in case:

2 oz Green Bullet for the full 60 minutes (good hop for a backbone)
1 oz nugget with 30 minutes left
1 oz Citra with 15 minutes left
1 oz Citra at 0 minutes

Dry/secondary: 2 oz dry hop in the secondary 1 in the keg.

If you already brewed, let me know what you did. Would be curious.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I already brewed it on 2/30, but I intend to do another batch with the schedule you recommended (it makes much more sense than what I did!) to see the difference. I ended up winging it with:

1 oz Nugget at 60
1 oz Green Bullet at 20
1 oz Green Bullet at 10
1 oz Citra at 5
1 oz Citra at flameout

I will do 2 oz Citra in secondary and 1 oz Citra in the keg.

I'll follow up with how it turns out, but I have a feeling I will end up regretting not going heavier on the early additions.

UPDATE

4/8/14 Still could use a couple more days carbing in the keg, but I couldn't wait any longer to try - it's delicious. Tropical island delicious.

The single oz of nugget at 60 was just bitter enough. The heavy handed late additions punch me in the face with citrusy aroma and flavor.

I worried it might come out too dry with that much brown sugar, but it ended up being spot on for how I like an IPA. I am surprised with how much better this turned out than I expected.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I already brewed it on 2/30, but I intend to do another batch with the schedule you recommended (it makes much more sense than what I did!) to see the difference. I ended up winging it with:

1 oz Nugget at 60
1 oz Green Bullet at 20
1 oz Green Bullet at 10
1 oz Citra at 5
1 oz Citra at flameout

I will do 2 oz Citra in secondary and 1 oz Citra in the keg.

I'll follow up with how it turns out, but I have a feeling I will end up regretting not going heavier on the early additions.

UPDATE

4/8/14 Still could use a couple more days carbing in the keg, but I couldn't wait any longer to try - it's delicious. Tropical island delicious.

The single oz of nugget at 60 was just bitter enough. The heavy handed late additions punch me in the face with citrusy aroma and flavor.

I worried it might come out too dry with that much brown sugar, but it ended up being spot on for how I like an IPA. I am surprised with how much better this turned out than I expected.

My apologies for resurrection a 5+ year old thread, but wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. I had recently purchased a pound of Green Bullet hops and was trying to decide a good way to utilize them and found this thread. I brewed the beer yesterday and used the following hop schedule based on the alpha acid values of the hops:

0.5 oz Columus at 60
1 oz Green Bullet at 20
1 oz Green Bullet at 10
1 oz Citra at 5
1 oz Citra at flameout

I plan to do 1 oz each of Green Bullet and Citra in the keg.

So far, the hydrometer sample looked, smelled, and tasted fantastic, as did the raw Green Bullet hop pellets. I'm really looking forward to this beer. I will report back in a few weeks when it is ready. Thanks again!

Back