Help me understand my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcray

Reaction score
Up to this point, I've been using the 2.5 gal ozarka jugs for water since I had assumed my tap water to be no good for brewing (I try to avoid drinking it if I can). However in the interest of saving some $$ I thought I'd take a stab at understanding local water quality and what I can or can't do with it.

Here is a link to the city's water report for 2009 (PDF): http://water.ci.lubbock.tx.us/pdf/WQR/2009WQR.pdf

First, is this the correct info to be using to make water-related decisions?

Also, where does this fall in the usability spectrum?

Up to this point, I've been using the 2.5 gal ozarka jugs for water since I had assumed my tap water to be no good for brewing (I try to avoid drinking it if I can). However in the interest of saving some $$ I thought I'd take a stab at understanding local water quality and what I can or can't do with it.

Here is a link to the city's water report for 2009 (PDF): http://water.ci.lubbock.tx.us/pdf/WQR/2009WQR.pdf

First, is this the correct info to be using to make water-related decisions?

Also, where does this fall in the usability spectrum?

It's hard to say. The report only gives the highest levels found. Not the average levels. I'd give them a call and see if you can get the average levels for Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sulfate, Chloride and Bicarbonate. Post those numbers and then we can talk.

It's hard to say. The report only gives the highest levels found. Not the average levels. I'd give them a call and see if you can get the average levels for Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sulfate, Chloride and Bicarbonate. Post those numbers and then we can talk.

Ok, I called and talked to someone from the water treatment plant. According to her, the data in the highest detected column is pretty much the standard, so here is the data:

Calcium - 62ppm
Magnesium - 35ppm
Sodium - 233ppm
Sulfate - 180ppm
Chloride - 266ppm
Bicarbonate - 180ppm (listed as total alkalinity in the report)

oops sorry for the delay. WOW your sodium is outta control! Does the water taste salty?

I think your gonna want to dilute your tap water with RO or distilled water for most beers.

I recommend downloading the EZ water calculator and using that to figure the water for each batch of beer.

Here are the target ranges for those minerals

Calcium 50-150 (your right on target)
Magnesium 10-30 (your at the high end)
Sodium 0-150 (your way to high)
Sulfate 50-350 (your good here)
Chloride 0-250 (your at the tip top of the range)
Bicarbonate is to balance acidity from the malts. At 180 your good for dark beers but will have a hard time making a pale beer without adjusting your water.

I think you could dilute your tap water and then adjust with salts. Play with the calculator and see how it works. Enjoy!

Does your grocery store have a big 'water machine' in which you bring the container(s) and fill them? All of them around here do (usually right next to a soda machine) and they dispense RO water for a quarter per gallon. Try using that and read the primer sticked at the top of the Science forum, this one.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Looking at all this, I think I might try the RO water and then adjust from there. That might be the easiest thing to do depending on what I'm brewing that day. The water here is very salty, noticably so from the tap. I'm thinking it's probably easier to just not mess with it.

I usually purchase water from those Watermill Express kiosks around town.
15 gallons:$3 and no worries.

I use watermill express water all the time for my brews (partial mash). Has anyone gotten watermill water tested? will to share the results? I am moving up to all-grain soon and am curious about the mineral content.

Thanks

I use watermill express water all the time for my brews (partial mash). Has anyone gotten watermill water tested? will to share the results? I am moving up to all-grain soon and am curious about the mineral content.

Thanks

I'd suggest contacting the company directly and asking them for the mineral analysis.

maida7, I just moved to Asheville and am having trouble finding a complete report. The one I found has pH, Alkalinity, Hardness, and Sodium, but not Calcium, Magn, Potassium, and Iron. Do you have a more complete analysis?

maida7, I just moved to Asheville and am having trouble finding a complete report. The one I found has pH, Alkalinity, Hardness, and Sodium, but not Calcium, Magn, Potassium, and Iron. Do you have a more complete analysis?

Welcome to Asheville. I'd recommend checking out the local home brew club MALT. It's a fun group with many talented brewers.

I'm on city water and had ward labs do an analysis a while back.

Calcium and Mg are very low like <1 ppm

Potassium and Iron were not in the report from ward labs but should not have any effect on your brewing.

Back