Help me tune in on what beer to make next...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwarrior86

Reaction score
Ok...so I'm new to the brewing game, but thankfully I'm wicked smart (I can follow instructions) and have picked it up quickly. ;) I spent the last 4 weeks thinking I ruined my first batch and was extremely pleased when I tasted the fruit of my labor last night. (Prior to bottling.) The FG had come down to 1.010 and it tasted like it should.....Irish Red Ale w/o carbonation.

I am on to my next batch (Red Stripe mini-Mash clone). I am using a lager yeast without the ability to lager it, so we will see how this comes out. (Probably somewhat of a 'Red Stripe Cali steam'.)

Anyway.....HELP ME figure out my next batch. Here are the beers I like and what I'll be doing:

My go to beer is Stella. In the summer I love Negro Modelo, Red Stripe, Corona, etc. I will be fishing with the boys. These beers will be comsumed in hot weather on a boat. Any thoughts for a refreshing mini-mash recipe would be greatly appreciated. I am extremely lazy and believe in the 'wisdom of crowds', so I'm going to push my homework on you! :tank:

You could do a cream ale and mini-mash with some flaked corn. I haven't done this exact recipe but it's from the "Countertop Partial Mash" article in BYO:

Kluster Kreme (Cream Ale) (5 gallon/19 L, partial mash)
OG = 1.044
FG = 1.008
IBU = 15
SRM = 4
ABV = 4.6%
This interpretation of an American cream ale uses the classic American hop, Cluster. 52% of the extract weight comes from the mini-mash.
Ingredients
3.0 lb. (1.4 kg) 6-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) flaked maize
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) corn sugar
2.75 lbs. (1.2 kg) Coopers Light liquid malt extract (late addition)
4 AAU Cluster hops (60 mins) (0.57 oz./16 g of 7% alpha acids)
1 oz. Irish moss (15 mins)
1/4 tsp. yeast nutrients (15 minutes)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or US56 dried yeast (1.5 qt./~1.5 L yeast starter)
1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Heat 5.5 qts. (5.2 L) of water to 163 °F (73 °C) and mash maize and crushed grains, starting at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Recirculate, run off first wort and add it to 0.5 gallon (1.9 L) of boiling water in your kettle. Add 190 °F (88 °C) water to cooler, let rest for 5 minutes, then recirculate and run off second wort. Bring wort to a boil, add corn sugar and bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add Irish moss and yeast nutrients with 15 minutes left in boil. After boil, stir in liquid malt extract and let wort rest (covered) for 15 minutes before cooling. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter and add water to make 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

Latest posts

Back