Help me talk through my oak aged stout project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Beginning this month I am wanting to start a stout project that should last me until December. I am writing out my planned process here, to first help me organize, and second see if you guys can poke any holes in my plan.

First, with my current capacity, and the size of the beer, I can brew 3 gallons at a time. I use a 3 gallon fermenter, and a mini fridge as a chamber. Because of this I can only do one primary fermentation at a time.

Starting This month, and over the next 3 months, I plan on brewing the same imperial stout 3 times. I'm still fiddling with the recipe but it will be theoretically around 11% abv.

They will be in the primary for 3 weeks, at which point I will transfer them to 3 1 gallon carboys, to secondary in a cool dark place. I will do this 3 times until I have 9 one gallon carboys of this stout. I will explain why I am doing this in a bit.

In May or June. Each 1 gallon carboy will receive .4 ounces of medium char American oak cubes. 1/3 of these cubes will have been soaked in bourbon, 1/3 in rum, and one third in yet to be determined, maybe nothing. So essentially one of the carboys from each batch will get bourbon, one will get rum, and one will get "yet to be determined".

These will age until December, when I will take the 3 that received bourbon and blend them in my keg, force carbonate, and then with a beer gun fill bottles. I will then proceed to do this with the three that got rum, and the 3 that got "yet to be determined".

The idea of the blending is that I will now have 3 versions of the same beer, with the spirit choice being the only differentiator.

Some bottles will be given out to friends and family, some will be drank by my wife and I, and some may be left to age a little while longer in the bottle.

I know that's a wall a text, so thanks for reading through it! Can you guys find any holes?

Similar-ish to the stout I made for christmas this past year. The plan is decent as far as I can tell. My only comment would be to sample occasionally after the oak goes in. I did 3 gallons and added 3oz of oak for about a month. I think I overdid it a little bit, but it's smoothing out the longer I let it sit.

I highly recommend Port for that last one. I've tried a few big stouts that used port soaked oak and they're spectacular. My stout I used 1oz cubes in Bourbon, 1oz cubes in Rum, and 1oz cubes in Port. All three in the same secondary. I really like the results.

Back