Help me save this Dupont Saison clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender1983

Reaction score
Hello,

6 or so weeks ago I attempted to brew 5.5G batch of Saison Dupont clone. All Grain. I did achieve calculated gravity due to poor efficiency and ended up adding 0.5 of corn sugar and 0.5 of Belgian candy sugar.

Starting gravity: 1.062
Measured final gravity: 1.016

I used 3724 yeast and let it ferment warm in my Michigan garage. It took couple weeks to get to 1.030. Than it took another four to get to 1.016. 6 weeks in primary total, which is insane!

It is very sweet and soupy to my taste. I don't want to keg it.
Is there a way to dry it out with different stain of yeast? Will Brett B take it below 1.010?

Looking for advice to save the batch. I will either transfer it to secondary and add another yeast or pour it down the drain...

:(

Add some amylase enzyme, give it a swirl and crank it to 80F. It's a saison so the temp won't hurt it. And the amylase will squeeze whatever is left out of the fermentation.

We need a lot more information to help you.
Grain bill, mash temp, yeast pitch rate, fermentation temp and whether you transferred to secondary or anything else.
Generally, you really need to warm up this yeast and be patient. Also, some report using open fermentation helps prevent stalling.

Back