Help me make upgrade decision - eBIAB, 2 vessel (or 3 vessel). 15+ gallon setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baglorious

Reaction score
Thank you for reading this notwithstanding the title. Obviously, these types of questions are asked again and again, but surprisingly, searching this type of inquiry doesn't yield straightforward results. (Hence, I'm ashamedly asking the question... again.)

At the risk of making this post too long... here's the background. I'm still a relatively new brewer. I've done extract for a couple of years (just using kits), and have now done a whopping total of THREE all grain batches, via batch sparging with a 10 gal igloo / false bottom setup. I am going to upgrade (sooner than I planned), as my family/friends love homebrew. Follow the recipes... and the results are just darn good. 5 gallon corny kegs will soon be regularly shared... so I am aiming for a 15 gal production setup. (Maybe something that can even do 20?)

I just had a friend contribute $500 toward the system upgrade out of the blue. I mentioned to said friend that I was debating acquiring some used gear nearby (for $500) to be able to upsize the production, and poof... $500 contribution. I was as surprised as anyone.

SO... decision time. What to upgrade to? I have an easy install for 240v in my basement utility area. We have an unused hot tub circuit already installed, that can easily be converted via a friend who is a licensed electrician. (So I can go 30 amp or 60.) In Indiana... basement brewing is great for January and February and such.

I've got a Blichmann 240v Tower of Power controller on clearance... so I have a new one sitting in the basement.

I've got a Blichmann Riptide pump (just one pump) and a Duda Diesel plate chiller. Picked these up used. (Probably worth mentioning that I have a Warthog 120V turnkey system that I found used locally for a steal. The pump and chiller were included. I will probably resell the 120v controller, kettle, etc. I haven't even used it!)

Here are my primary debate issues:

1. I am leaning toward STARTING with a large eBIAB system. I spoke with Bobby at brewhardware a while ago, and the Brewmaster 25 gallon kettle (with a 5500w element and other components) can do 15 gall BIAB batches with recirculation, etc. That seems like a winner, as I essentially have everything already, except for the kettle. I do have the ability to put a hoist in my basement to handle the obnoxiously large bag. And I already own all the stuff from Wilserbrewer, in fact, including a large enough bag. (My reservation with this... is do I want a "budget" kettle? Or do I buy a nicer 20 gallon kettle? 20 gallon kettle couldn't do 15 gal BIAB of course... but...

2. I also am interested in 2 vessel systems... like a Blichmann Breweasy, which I'd think could be replicated fairly easily. It seems like the BRUTUS setup... with a large coleman cooler (or a 20 gal SS infussion mash tun... someday) and a gravity feed could replicate a breweasy/brutus, and would be an easy "add on" if the advantages are worth it that would enable 15 gal batches in a 20 (22) gallon kettle. (Clearer wort, so I've read? Easier to deal with the spent grain?)

3. And here's the thing that is causing my some consternation: A pair of Stout Tanks kettles are available fairly close to me. 20 gal HLT with herms coil, and 20 gal mash tun. They are a good enough deal that I hate to pass on them... but I'd still need a boil kettle... I'd need some other stuff... and it is more complicated. BUT... it is high-end, perfectly sized stuff at a great deal. I'd be on my way to a 3 vessel system with high end gear that I'd probably never upgrade. And then I ask... "do I really want a 3 vessel setup." And the answer is... I don't know. But I hate to pass on used gear that is a great deal. If, in the future, I decide I do want to go 3 vessel, I'll probably regret not buying this.

I'll be using a "steam slayer" from brewhardware.com whatever route I go.

SO... help! Thoughts, please?

I see enough people 'downscaling' from 3 vessel to eBIAB or 2 vessel from 3 vessel that makes me wonder if 3 vessel is really something I'll ever want to do.

I know this is likely a 'personal preference' situation... and no one can give me the answer, but perhaps there is enough of a consensus or some wisdom out there that will help me figure it out.

Note: I have 2 youngish kids... and I don't plan on 'competition' brewing... (at least i don't think) and I probably should lean toward 'easier' rather than 'most capable of perfection'.

The large eBIAB system... which can seemingly be fairly easily upgraded to a 2 vessel system seems to make the most sense. Shorter brew day, less cleaning, etc. (But did i mention I hate passing on good used gear? And those Stout kettles are nice! They're in the 'for sale' forum here.)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back