Help me get started!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwiz

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at cider making but I'm a little overwhelmed and not really sure where to start.

Some of the posts here have some good looking recipes and tips but frequently use 'brew speak' using words and terminology I just do not know. (sp, gp numbers like 1.001) Can someone recommend a few books or articles to get a good foundation?

I did some searching on amazon but I'm apprehensive to buy any one book due to mixed reviews all conflicting, none at least seem to be the book I'm looking for. I assume I may need a cider specific book and then a good wine or beer book?

While I'm at it I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making mead, beer, or even ginger and root beers. So a book that could also be applied to these things would be a bonus.
Thanks!

I would suggest searching your area for a Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) and asking them for some guidance. Many will sell books or be able to direct you to an author and they themselves can give you a lot of good advice.
You can also go to This Thread which will give you some info on the acronyms/abbreviations that kind of fly around here.
I'd also visit The Cider Wiki compiled by this forum.
Otherwise, just read, read, read, and then read some more. Don't stress, you'll get it.

I started last year. I've done a dozen batches now. All have been great.
My advice when starting out is don't worry about details or all of the thousands of recipes and methods. Go to a brew store. Buy a 6 gallon carboy, a 5 gallon carboy,an auto siphon, a vapor lock, 6 gallons of good UV pasteurized cider from a mill, 2 pounds of brown sugar, and a pack of ale or cider yeast.

Low stress instructions. Be sure you have cleaned and sterilized your carboys then
1 Put cider in 6 gallon carboy. Add yeast and 2 pounds of sugar.
2 Put vapor lock on and fill with vodka
3 IF it starts bubbling in 2 days, you are good to go. IF not, raise the temp a bit. I used a small space heater because I start mine in my basement and its about 60. I find it won't start bubbling( at least with English cider yeast) until I bump the temp to 65 or so.
4 Once it stops bubble, should be around 2 to 3 weeks, transfer to the 5 gallon carboy using the auto siphon. leave very little head space. drink any cider left over:rockin:
5 wait at least another 2 months
6 transfer to a keg and start enjoying

For now, I would not worry about the technicals. If you want low alch content, don't add any sugar. IF you want a little more kick, add a pound or 2 to 5 gallons of cider. IF you want more kick, add 2 pounds of sugar and a couple cans of frozen apple concentrate.

This will work fine if you don't want to get call caught up in the details. Learn that after you have done a few batches. Yes, specific gravity reading will help your results be more consistent in the future, but it's not required. I'm a scientist, but I treat cider making like art. Every batch is unique and wonderful!

my 2 cents

Try starting HERE if you haven't seen it yet.

also… HERE

There are some decent tutorials on YouTube as well.

I bought a book on Amazon.. which I initially got at my library.. but, the local info here is very good..

C.j.Berry's first steps in wine making. Covers everything but bottling and carbing. Also talks alot about fruit wine.

I am a little OCD in the kitchen and have had trouble with the concept of "F*&% it just do it!" With this it is really kind of hard to do something that will have to get tossed. It is a really simple process and can be done by almost any one. Hell acording to the Animal Planet elephants ferment bananas. So how hard can it really be?

Back