Help me diagnose my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscrimager

Reaction score
I made a porter from an extract kit. I'm not going to name the kit maker because I don't want to sound like I am criticizing the kit when I am sure it's the brewer that was not up to snuff.

The porter has been bottled for a few weeks now (about 4 weeks) and while I enjoy it there is definitely something missing.

The flavor starts out okay but the finish is .. flat. I assume that this is just not hopped enough (I'm not a hop head but no insult intended to them that are).
Is this usually the result of not enough bittering hops, aroma hops or both?

There is really no hop to this at all even though I used what was included and it was put in at the times of the boil as specified.

Just casting about for some thoughts as I LOVE porters. I'm an extract brewer but I usually get kits with specialty grains so I do a partial mash.

Any extract brewer friendly kits that anyone can suggest?

Well you are basically asking us to evaluate your personal preference. Post the recipe and your brewing/packaging process and I'll be happy to tell you if it's within the porter style.

Ok, many fair comments,. It is a subjective thing. I'm well acquainted with many porters in the market. In comparison this has no real finish. It's flatter at then end than any porter I've every had.

Is it the bittering hops that provides most of the hop finish?

Since it was a kit I did not save the recipe. Thanks for the many offers of help. I'll be sure to keep more information for next time.

Doug

I have seen a major difference between between the FG of partial mash batches and specialty grain batches. This could make a big difference in how beer tastes 2-3 weeks in bottles vs 3-5 weeks in bottled. Given time I think both get o the same point but partial mash seems to get there quicker.

Back