Help me devise a partigyle wheatwine/berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbeerboy

Reaction score
so, i had planned on doing a 10g batch of berliner weisse this saturday, then i got a wild hair... how about a HUGE wheatwine with the first runnings, then a berliner weisse with the second?

i'm trying to figure out how to pull it off. originally the grain bill was about 14#, about 65% pils, 35% wheat, mash hopped, bring it up to 190 and chill, pitch the lacto on saturday, then wlp007 on monday. easy enough.

THEN, the wheatwine. i would aim for around 1.130, probably 60/40 pils to wheat, still mash low, around 149. first runnings go into the kettle, maybe bitter to around 40ibu's, ferment with us-05 around 60 for about 4 weeks, then into a keg on top of some bourbon and oak for a long nap until fall.

i've never been good with predicting gravities when doing partigyles. i mean, worst case, i get the runnings starting around 1.050 to get about 8 gallons or so, then dilute or add DME to come to about 1.032 or so. , adjusting everything to get about 10g.

so, is this even possible? am i crazy for even thinking this?

help me brainstorm!

wow... so, according to that, i could do this:

18# pils
12# wheat

mashed with 40qts, get about 6g of 1.090ish wort, sparge with 10g water and get ~10g of 1.032 wort for the berliner.

wheels are spinning.

my brew went off pretty much without a hitch. i did have to add about 1.5# of wheat DME to the berliner wort to get up to 1.032, then i dumped the rest of the 3# bag into the wheat wine wort, just cuz.

wheat wine OG was 1.102, bw was 1.032. a good brew day :)

so, i've got a brett primed belgian pale in bottles, and i'm thinking about maybe adding the dregs from a bottle to each fermenter of the berliner. any thoughts?

Back