Help me determine the source of a flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
So I recently brewed Ed's Kolsch. I tasted my first one last night and it was fantastic, and I found myself wondering where part of the flavor came from. It was a kind of strawberry grapefruit note. It was subtle, but added a nice finish to the beer. I used the WLP029 Kolsch yeast and fermented at 64F, so I doubt that is where the flavor came from. I also thought maybe the Tettnang hops, but I thought they were known for a spicy taste with a bit of floral. I'm wondering if it is just such a strong floral taste in a lighter beer that I am just perceiving it to be fruity. Any ideas? I just thought I would ask in case I want to reproduce a similar flavor in another beer. Thanks.

I've not had fruity flavors from the Koelsch yeast (I assume WL is identical to the Wyeast strain). I guess floral aroma could be interpreted as fruity. Sounds like grounds for experimentation...

Back