Help Me Decide What To Make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
I have some random left over ingredients and am trying to think of what I can make. Here's what I have on hand. If I can figure out something to do with all this all I'll need to buy is base malt and maybe another type of specialty malt.

A jar of 34/70 harvested from my last beer, first generation
.5 ounce Magnum pellets 12.4%
2 ounces dried whole leaf Cascade, home grown
1 lb Vienna
8 ounces C 60
2 ounces C 150

Thanks for your input.

Stupid question - how do you and other people have left over grains? Do you buy grains in bulk?

I came into a stash of grain from when one of my cousins, who was working for a brewery at the the time, hooked me up with some of their supply.

Most of the time it is from buying in bulk though, which definitely makes sense when it comes to base malts.

Stupid question - how do you and other people have left over grains? Do you buy grains in bulk?

I end up with leftover because the places I get grains from are usually 1 pound minimum and increments of 1 pound.

for the original question, sounds like beer with what you have. all you need is base malt...i might throw another 2-4oz's special b into it though...assuming 5 gal batch, maybe only 4oz 60l crystal too...haven't brewed a 5 gal batch in a while but think that would be tasty (like beer ever isn't!)

American hopped moctoberfest warm fermented quick lager... That'll piss off the procedural puritans and also taste goooot. All's you need is a bit of pilsner malt,

American hopped moctoberfest warm fermented quick lager... That'll piss off the procedural puritans and also taste goooot. All's you need is a bit of pilsner malt,

I like the sounds of that, my last lager was fermented at 66 for 2 weeks and is already in the keg so I’ve got no problem doing a quick turnaround.

pilsner malt? you know that pound of vienna might have enough enzymatic power to convert 5lbs of white rice in a cereal mash!

Do it! Although who has 5 pounds of rice and is it cheaper than bulk malt?

doesn't walmart sell 20lb bags for like 9 bucks? just looked, 5lb bag of rice at walmart is 2.92, so yes, it'd be 'cheap'....sparge would be tricky though...BIAB might work.

back to the OP's question, just throw it all in a pot and brew it! :) all you need is more base malt

doesn't walmart sell 20lb bags for like 9 bucks? just looked, 5lb bag of rice at walmart is 2.92, so yes, it'd be 'cheap'....sparge would be tricky though...BIAB might work.

back to the OP's question, just throw it all in a pot and brew it! :) all you need is more base malt
I get a 25kg bag of malt for 20 sqiuds so that would be about three dollars for 5lb.

I get a 25kg bag of malt for 20 sqiuds so that would be about three dollars for 5lb.

to be that lucky! i just bought a 50lb bag of malt, cost me 61 dollars with shipping to the door...that and inbev is why i started hitting up the feed store for barley, and malting my own...

to be that lucky! i just bought a 50lb bag of malt, cost me 61 dollars with shipping to the door...that and inbev is why i started hitting up the feed store for barley, and malting my own...
And I stay in the Highlands of Scotland where most companies charge a fortune to deliver to. Fortunately Irish companies do it for free in general so I can actually get it for between 25 and 40 dollars a sack depending on the grain.

And I stay in the Highlands of Scotland where most companies charge a fortune to deliver to. Fortunately Irish companies do it for free in general so I can actually get it for between 25 and 40 dollars a sack depending on the grain.

sounds like you got a good thing going! :)

Back