Help me decide wether to bottle or keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skimming the messages here but thought I would add that kegging can be multi-use. I've now started fermenting in my corny kegs. Can ferment under pressure and close-loop transfer to reduce oxidation when filling the serving vessel. Check out this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=600563

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the greatness that is spunding. Beer is fully carbed naturally at the end of fermentation.

Plenty of good advice here already.
One thing I'll add though is cold crashing/conditioning in a keg is pretty great. Sure you could do it in a carboy too but then you're behind 2+ weeks while the beer bottle conditions after cold crashing. For example I have 4 taps dedicated to beer and room enough for 8 kegs. I recently killed a keg of a blonde ale, which by the end was crystal clear. I had a Pineapple Kolsch that I put in the kegerator the same time as the blonde. I switched the tap over to the Kolsch and after about 2 pints it's already super clear and crisp. If I had my **** together I'd have another batch ready to go into a keg and crash/condition while I drink the Kolsch. Rinse and repeat and you've got a pretty good system.
That's only a real benefit if you've got room for more than one keg though.

I bottled for four years before moving to kegging. Kegging is so easy! The only problem I've run into is that Belgians and mixed fermentation sours just aren't the same when kegging, so I continue to bottle them. If you plan on making mostly clean American, British, German styles kegging is definitely the way to go.

I think most Brits would disagree with you there, the preference would be cask conditioning, followed by bottles, followed at a distance by kegging. Force carbonation just doesn't feel right with British styles.

With this whole debate - it largely comes down to personal circumstances as to what weight you put on different factors. For some, being able to easily throw a bottle in a rucksack when hiking, or to take to friends, is important, for others the ability to age/drink over an extended period of time, or to have a choice of several different beers in the cellar, are important. For others it will be the lower up-front costs, or the convenience of being able to store beers out of the way. Or it depends on what styles you brew. There's no hard answer.

I started kegging before I started brewing. I tried home soda with the kids, and ended up with bottles that were almost hand grenades. Yeast had changed since I was a kid. I bought the kegs and a small chest freezer to do soda, and thought I would try a beer for fun. TThe small freezer is now for cold crash and lager, the big freezer holds 10 kegs, and I always have soda for the kids, I also have had hard cider, skeeter pee (carbonated wine) and beer. With kegging you can kill the yeast in wine or cider, add sugar for sweetness and then carbonate to desired levels with no risk of bottle bombs. I only bottle to travel. (plastic bottles for a week at the beach, no glass allowed on the sand). Although I must say that the good investment was a keg washer, makes it real easy, the pump cleans the tubes, and you can set it up to wash beer lines. But you can definitely have a lot of fun with the variety when you keg.

I keg and bottle from my 100 litre conical. I get 4 x corny kegs and 24 x 330ml bottles every 2 weeks. I fill my bottles from the racking port while I am pumping via the dump port through a 1 micron filter to my kegs. I keg condition the beer for 4 weeks as a minimum before putting in the kegerator and I bottle condition for at least 4 weeks before putting in fridge for 48 hours prior to drinking. I can sterilize 24 bottles at a time by boiling them in my brew kettle. I think this gives me the best of both worlds, Beer on tap at home to share when friends come around and beer in bottle to take to friends places for the footy or BBQs

Blackdirt cowboy, you say:"... I also enjoy taking my beer with me, as I have an active lifestyle and probably drink 80% of my beer away from home."

I reckon you have answered your own question. Transfer 100% of your fermented beer into a keg, and then transfer 80% into bottles! Doesn't sound like a good or efficient method to me - 80% duplication!

FWIW, I do not have the space or facilities to keg and refrigerate. So over a couple of years, perhaps more, I acquired a collection of swing-top bottles (Grolsch style, although most of mine are amber glass), hence no bottle capper. Sometimes I re-use twist top 12oz bottles. Save the twist tops, and screw back on. Easy.

Correct bulk priming should avoid carbonation issues referred to by some posters.

I guess one of the pros of kegging and transferring into bottles is that the bottled beer will be sediment free. Not so with bottle conditioned beer, although if kept upright and handled with care, there shouldn't be problems. Also, there are methods to compact the sediment so that it is not easily disturbed.

Blackdirt cowboy, you say:"... I also enjoy taking my beer with me, as I have an active lifestyle and probably drink 80% of my beer away from home."

I reckon you have answered your own question. Transfer 100% of your fermented beer into a keg, and then transfer 80% into bottles! Doesn't sound like a good or efficient method to me - 80% duplication!

FWIW, I do not have the space or facilities to keg and refrigerate. So over a couple of years, perhaps more, I acquired a collection of swing-top bottles (Grolsch style, although most of mine are amber glass), hence no bottle capper. Sometimes I re-use twist top 12oz bottles. Save the twist tops, and screw back on. Easy.

Correct bulk priming should avoid carbonation issues referred to by some posters.

I guess one of the pros of kegging and transferring into bottles is that the bottled beer will be sediment free. Not so with bottle conditioned beer, although if kept upright and handled with care, there shouldn't be problems. Also, there are methods to compact the sediment so that it is not easily disturbed.

I also have converted to swing top bottles. I have 15 gallons worth with mostly Grolsch 16 oz. but have acquired a case each of 330ml and 510ml german beer bottles. I also use quart growlers if I'm in a hurry. I have all the gear to keg but no place to set it up, if I was still using crown caps I would have figured something out by now. I have bought 90% of my swing tops on Craigs list with an avg. cost of $.50/bottle so that's about $60. I also find that rinsing the bottles 2 or 3 times after decanting keeps them clean enough so a quick Starsan purge before bottling is all the hygene they need.
Anyone interested in acquiring some Grolsch bottles PM me as I found another good source in the SE.
My father brewed beer back in the 60's and 70's and when twist off caps became popular on beer and soda bottles he totally converted to those. The caps were good for several cycles before he'd need to replace one.

My 2cents, is for my own use the keg is better than sliced bread. now if you are sharing away from home consistently then would bottle.:mug:

On the twist offs, how do make sure they are closed tight enough?

Is doing it by hand enough?

Yes I used twist offs when I first started brewing they worked fine w/ no extra effort needed other than a good firm twist. The crown caps sometimes were a little difficult getting lined up and maybe a rag or something similar to get a better grip unless your hands are tough, but they all worked well. I would guess they haven't changed much in the last 50 years.. maybe the seal material has improved?

I haven't seen anyone mention one thing about kegging: You can pour half a glass. Which can be good or bad, depending on when you get close to your limit you have a half glass, or (I've done it) 3 or 4 half glasses.

I haven't seen anyone mention one thing about kegging: You can pour half a glass. Which can be good or bad, depending on when you get close to your limit you have a half glass, or (I've done it) 3 or 4 half glasses.

I'd mark this as a plus for kegging. At first, one of my reasons to resist kegs was that I was afraid I'd end up drinking too much, just being able to have beer flowing into my glass. In the short time that I've had my keg system in use, I have found the opposite to be true, I drink less. Instead of having to commit to a whole bottle at a time, I find myself doing smaller pours most of the time.

I tighten by hand, using a tea towel to get a good grip, then turn the bottle upside down to see if it leaks. Out of a couple of hundred twist tops to date, I have only had one uncarbonated beer.

When my beer works extremely well, I find I keep going back to the keg for a refill before I've finished my glass. When I bottle, the beer conditions very well, tastes amazing and I only take a six-pack or dozen out with me when visiting. I don't generally drink from bottles at home, only one from each batch when its ready, just to taste and see if its worthy to share.

Keg when ready. Have a bunch shipped, at least 4, from keg connection/birdman. Build a 3-4 tap Keezer. I would do that before a conical, saves more time. I growler or beirmunch fill bottles for friends. They like it better sans sediment.

My wife always says at her work, none of the women would ever eat more than half of a donut.

Now, any given woman may eat 4 or 5 "half-donuts" but a whole donut was way too much sugar/carbs/fat/grease/etc.

:drunk:

I do both. 5 Kegs for convenience and 400 bottles, mostly full!
First I used plastic bottles, I found cleaning a pain so switched to a couple of kegs. That was when I was doing kits.
When I discovered all grain that all changed. I now make so many different flavours that having them all in kegs would be a non starter. I like to choose a beer I fancy and not be limited to whats on tap. Also, I have one Blonde ale that everyone likes and a gluten free beer for the wife on tap, so with one keg ready for the next batch, I only have two or three of my everyday favourites on tap.

One thing for sure though. I wouldn't be bottling at all without the Grolsch style flip top bottles.
1 for ease of cleaning and
2 much less chance of an overcarb explosion! I recently cocked up on carb sugar dose and the first bottle I opened was a geyser!
I have been popping the tops on that 10 gal batch every few days for a couple of weeks.
Reckon it will soon be safe to open.
With capped tops I would have had a monster mess.

Just an update. I went back and forth on buying kegging equipment or upgrading to an automated br sculpture. Well, today I pulled the trigger on a three faucet tower, built in, stainless steel kegerator. I upgraded to a dual body taprite regulator and perlick flow control faucets. I got ten feet of beer line for each tap as well. The whole system came with 3 used ball lock kegs and a 5 pound CO2 bottle. I cant wait for it to get here. I have a porter that I just cold crashed and dined with gelatin last night. It'll be nice to try force carbonating it if I can wait that long.

Back