Help me convert this recipe Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmercede

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just finished brewing my first batch today and I had a blast. I was hoping to do a clone of Russian River's Damnation for my next batch. I only currently have equipment to do a partial mash. Basically using extract and grain bags.

Below is a Recipe from Vinnie which refers to a belgian strong golden ale (aka damnation). I was hoping to use this as a base. Please help me convert this to a recipe using extract and a steep of some grain (possibly the wheat and munich malts).

Vinnie Cilurzo's Strong Golden Ale

O.G. 1.066-1.072
F.G. 1.006-1.012
ABV 7-8%
IBU: 23-33

Grist Bill:
Pilsener Malt 80-100%
Wheat malt 2.5%-5% (optional)
Munich malt 2.5%-5% (optional)
Sugar (candi rocks, turbinado, or dextrose) 5-20%

Hops:
Styrian Goldings, 90 minutes, 30% hop bill (13-15 IBU)
Styrian Goldings, 30 minutes, 35% hop bill (7-10 IBU)
Saaz, at knockout, 35% of hop bill (3-5 IBU)

Mash:
151°-152°F

Yeast:
WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Fermentation:
Dependent on yeast choice 66°-76°F

Thanks!

Mike

There is a lot of brewer discretion involved here: 5-20% sugar, both the wheat and the munich are optional, etc. Can you be more specific about how you want this recipe to look?

I really do not have enough experience to say exactly what the makeup should be. However, I am looking to make a dry belgian strong ale, similare to Damnation. Id appreciate any suggestions.

Its about:
6lbs Pils/Extra light DME (or 7.5 LME)
0.5lb munich
0.5lb wheat
1.5lbs sugar

munich and wheat need to be mashed so you'd be doing a mini-mash instead of a steep. just steep them in a smaller amount of water (like 0.5-1 gallon) at 150-160F and you've done a mini-mash.

Latest posts

Back