Help Me clone 21st Amendment Toaster Pastry India Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx750ktm

Reaction score
Ive had this beer a few times now and would love to brew something close to this. Been brewing a few years but I fall short trying to build a clone or something close, Looking for some help from all you helpful hombrewers :mug:

Here is what we know because of 21st amendments website:

Malts
Two Row, Baird 70-80 Dark Crystal, Weyermann Munich 2, Weyermann Carafa III, Castle Biscuit

Bittering Hops
Warrior

Flavor Hops
Centennial, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Mosaic

Yeast
American Ale

Alcohol Content
Bitterness Units (IBUS)

Someone give me there best shot at this and I will brew and post back results!! Thanks in advance :ban:

Only had this once...but just looking at grains maybe this would help....I took the %'s out of Beersmith (rounding--so yes its more than 100%) so that you could scale accordingly. Also, being that its a "bready" pastry type base you may want to consider upping the munich and biscuit and decreasing the 2 row since 2 row doesn't lend much to flavor by itself.

54% 2 row >>> your base
14% biscuit >> assuming they use to get the "pastry" bready taste
14% munich 2 >> same as above
17% caramel 80 >> fruitiness/sweetness [usually i wouldn't use so much crystal, I try to stay below 15%, but its preference)
2% carafe III >> assuming color

In terms of hopping...

FWH with warrior to get smooth bitterness

I don't recall the "hop" flavor so can't really help you there except for the fact that i would do almost all late hop additions. probably could leave out the ahtanum since "the google" says its close to cascade and amarillo.

Their website states they use "Calypso and other experimental hops". They also state "pale and dark crystal malts" so I'm betting they use a pale ale malt instead of 2-row. Something like Maris Otter or Golden Promise.

I just saw a clone recipe with German Red X malt at 19% of the malt bill.

On their Back-in-Black IPA stats they list Rahr Pale Malt so I'm betting it's that instead of Maris Otter or GP

Did you ever brew this up? If so and it turned out well could you share what recipe you ended up using?

Back