Help me categorize my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
A brewery near my hometown put off a competition recently where they sent a box of ingredients out and every brewer using only that. Pretty friggin cool hey?

My plan was for a black IPA, but I'm having some troubles justifying calling something that tastes more like a stout an IPA just because of the heavy use of hops.

Help me out

Here is my recipe and procedure.

4 gallons

9 # 2 Row
2 # Vienna
1 # carafoam
1 # choc wheat malt
1 # flaked wheat
4 oz carafoam
4 oz c39
4 oz c69

1.5 oz bravo at 60

All late hops with 2 oz each variety for
A whirlpool
Hopstand between 180-170
Hopstand between 170-160

Mosaic, Bravo, Sorachi ace

I oz sweet orange peel (dried) at FO

S-o4 at 66 degrees for 3 weeks.

OG 1.080 FG 1.016

It is absolutely delicious. Can't believe how well the orange peel and the ace work together.

Thanks for any suggestions on what category it falls under.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1488414895.527049.jpg

Perhaps an American Stout or a lighter and drier Imperial Stout (20B and 20C).

If all bets are off maybe a a hybrid beer.

What does the beer taste like?

I would categorize it as 21B Specialty IPA: Black IPA. It hits all the numbers for a black IPA (except based on my calc's the IBU's may be a tad high. But other than that its a Black IPA. Even in the BJCP guidelines under style comparison it lists it as "Not as roasty-burnt as American stouts and porters, and with less body and increased smoothness and drinkability." Based on that description it sounds like it can be similar to a stout but with more hops.

I'm tasting again now and if I didn't ever see this beer it would just taste like a delicious IPA with a bit of roast flavor and fuller mouthfeel than I'm used to.

I think color can play some tricks on the mind with the Black IPA.

I'll go with that.

Back