Help me build my next recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatDaddy

Reaction score
So here's what I have on hand:

5 pounds of Briess Amber DME

1 pound of Amarillo Hops
1 pound of Caramel 10

1oz of Warrior Hops
3 oz of Citra Hops

1 packet of US-05

Anyone have any ideas on what the best combination would be for these ingredients? I am a fan of big, hoppy, west coast ales, so that would be the preferred style.

Cheers!

The amber DME puts a monkey wrench into trying to make up a recipe, as it already has crystal malt in it, and probably some Munich malt. But how much and what kind, I have no idea! I always formulate recipes with light DME and add grains from there.

If you add crystal, since you already have it in the DME, you'll probably be adding too much. I guess a bit of victory malt would be alright, but I wouldn't be adding anything else for a hoppy west coast IPA/APA.

You can make beer!!! (Just kidding, mostly!)

A quick plug into BeerSmith software shows the DME and Caramel 10 would have a potential Original Gravity (OG) of 1.061.

If you like a hoppy-beer, add 1oz at each 60, 30 and 5 and again at secondary to dry hop...All the hops you have are a higher-alpha hops...

One though, if the warrior and citra hops are still in there vacuum sealed or nitrogen filled packs, leave them in there for next time. If the 1-lb pack of amarillo hops is open, used them...OR...leave the pound-pack alone and use the other hops.

If these are leftover ingredients, just brew, see what happens.

Remember: relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

Latest posts

Back