Help me build a IIPA with what I have on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
So I scored a bag of Maris otter for $40, I split it with a buddy so half a 55lb bag for $20. I want to use some of what I have left, maybe 19lb on hand, and try a west coast style IIPA with it. I'll end up picking up a few things from the lhbs, but I want to minimize what I need to buy.
I also have 6 oz Munich malt, which I plan on buying more. Either buy 2oz or 10oz to put me at .5 or 1 whole lb in the recipe.

Im planning on a 90 min boil with maybe 2oz fwh magnum (12.2%)
I also want to hopburst with chinook, simcoe and nelson Sauvin.

Rogue pacman yeast is usually my go to yeast for these beers.

What I'm having a tough time is nailing the grain bill

Large %age Maris otter
Half to full pound Munich
Cane sugar to help dry
Wheat malt for head retention.

I've been doing some research and it seems like folks like using pilsener to balance the Maris otter malt. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it if anyone has some experience.

Shooting for the 1.080 range for OG
100+ Ibu
Light in color, between 7-10 Srm
Ice cold mash plus pacman will eat the fg fairly dry. Maybe 148* for an hour.

You would probably be alright using two row to temper the MO so long as you don't add any crystal malts to the grain bill. If this is a 5 gallon batch then a half pound of Munich is probably fine. The MO is already going to add a little "toastyness". I like the hop combo you have chosen. Good luck!

You would probably be alright using two row to temper the MO so long as you don't add any crystal malts to the grain bill. If this is a 5 gallon batch then a half pound of Munich is probably fine. The MO is already going to add a little "toastyness". I like the hop combo you have chosen. Good luck!

Thanks! I ended up going with this
14lb MO
.5Lb Munich
.5Lb Wheat
.5lb Cane sugar

This was the first batch I tried adjusting water profile and mash pH, and i think i lowered the pH too much or something because I ended up with the 5.5g i was aiming for, but 1.072 OG as opposed to the 1.082 I was aiming for.

What did you do to adjust the pH? Just minerals? What kind of water did you start with? RO, tap or distilled?

What did you do to adjust the pH? Just minerals? What kind of water did you start with? RO, tap or distilled?

I used a brewing spreadsheet. Told me my tap water and the grain bill would have too high of a pH so I added 3.5ml lactic (sp?) Acid to the spread sheet. It said my pH would be in a good range. Well silly me, didn't think to measure the pH before adding the acid to the mash and added it anyways. I use the little pH strips since I don't have a probe or anything fancy.

I'm going to hold off on brewing for a while until I can afford some more stuff like a more powerful burner and a pH meter.

Straight MO, add 1lb of sugar-
Bitter with a 2oz pack of Warrior or Magnum from the LHBS for like $3

Then split your leftover hops in 1/2- put half in whirlpool, save half for dry hop.

Use some sort of high-attenuating yeast.

Drink, Enjoy, KEEP BEING AWESOME

Back