Help making this wheat beer recipe a winter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to make this wheat beer recipe a winter wheat? Like by adding spices? Trying to get this one ready for Xmas. Already have below ingredients.

6 LBs German Pilsner
4 Lbs Wheat
8 oz Flaked Wheat
8 oz Flaked Oats
12 oz Rice Hulls

1 oz Hallertau 60 Minutes

I’m sure you can add and holiday spices you’d like but a wheat doesn’t scream holiday to me. I’d add maybe a fruit like strawberry or raspberry to lighten it up and have with dinner.

Maybe add some Melodian or Special B, or similar to existing recipe, 1/2 to 1 pound, depending on how far you want to go. Will darken and sweeten nicely for that special winter feel, and still taste like beer.

Thanks all!! For some reason i wasn’t getting alerts for your replies! Brewing it Tuesday. I’m torn between adding cherry or watermelon and just calling it a winter beer.. hmm.

Sorry, but a watermelon wheat as a winter beer?
Haha. As the poster said above... just brew it in the winter and call it a winter beer. I’m actually not big on winter beers and like the light summer beers such as watermelon wheat more. I’m mainly making this for others in my family though who appreciate the more traditional winter beers!

Any thoughts on how to make this wheat beer recipe a winter wheat? Like by adding spices? Trying to get this one ready for Xmas. Already have below ingredients.

6 LBs German Pilsner
4 Lbs Wheat
8 oz Flaked Wheat
8 oz Flaked Oats
12 oz Rice Hulls

1 oz Hallertau 60 Minutes
Add Cranberries and a hint of Maple syrup to round out the bitterness. Or make is with orange peel or orange/cranberry.

Back