Help in calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhonny Dagher

Reaction score
Hello everyone
All the calculations i find is in lbs and gallons but in my country everything is in kilos and litres can anyne help me with how much water i need for 1 kilo of honey?
Im doing so little cause its my first time ever and all i have is bread yeast so untill i get the hydrometer and the grape yeast and all these stuff i could appreciate a little bit of help to start my first attempt
Thank you in advance

this is a perfect time for "google it". Google has a built in calculator which calculates the most odd things you'll never need.

For instance "2lbs in kg". Straight into the search bar of your browser if google is set as default search engine. It also does things like "x fl oz per oz in liters per kg"

this is a perfect time for "google it". Google has a built in calculator which calculates the most odd things you'll never need.

For instance "2lbs in kg". Straight into the search bar of your browser if google is set as default search engine. It also does things like "x fl oz per oz in liters per kg"
I know i did that but that gives me numbers like 0.80 and 1.7 and stuff like that i need a calculation from soneoneswho has done this before so at least i get something out of this experiment instead of ruin it fast

And about the yeast im using bread yeast so if anyone has an input about that maybe it changes the calculations or something

2 litres = .53 G
1Kg = 2.2 lbs
(2.2 x 0.035)%0.53= 0.145

SG estimated would be 1.145. I'm fairly new to mead making myself (about 8 months experience) but that might be too high that it stresses the yeast.

In my limited experience I would use different yeast, especially with that much honey. Bread yeast doesnt settle out very nicely and ABC limit about 12% (making your FG about 1.054, very sweet unless you like it that sweet).

I've seen many references for using that much honey but step feeding it to avoid stressing the yeast too much. (I've got a one gallon I started with 3 lbs/gallon and fed it another 1 cup (about 12 oz) twice as it got down to a SG around 1.

2 litres = .53 G
1Kg = 2.2 lbs
(2.2 x 0.035)%0.53= 0.145

SG estimated would be 1.145. I'm fairly new to mead making myself (about 8 months experience) but that might be too high that it stresses the yeast.

In my limited experience I would use different yeast, especially with that much honey. Bread yeast doesnt settle out very nicely and ABC limit about 12% (making your FG about 1.054, very sweet unless you like it that sweet).

I've seen many references for using that much honey but step feeding it to avoid stressing the yeast too much. (I've got a one gallon I started with 3 lbs/gallon and fed it another 1 cup (about 12 oz) twice as it got down to a SG around 1.
Ok the problem is all i can get now is bread yeast and no hydrometer im ordering it to be shipped from amazon but till then i just wanna try i know im not gonna get a good mead out of it but i would like to try wih what i have im even making an airlock from a transparent hose so if im using bread yeast and i dont want it to be too sweet how much water should i add to my 1kilo honey in a 5L glass container ?

Many these formulas will help some:

(A × B)/C = 'points' toward SG.
A = weight of honey (in lbs)
B = estimated SG change (1 pound in 1 gallon), most honey is about 0.035 but can vary a little.
C = combined volume in Gallons

Alcohol potential:
(1- SG)×131.25=potential ABV %

Depends on how sweet you want it to finish. If you want it to finish dry, then about 0.85 Gallons (3.2 litres), assuming the yeast will go to 12%. If you want it sweeter add less water, I personally like them about 1.008 - 1.012 FG. Which with bread yeast should be about 3 litres total volume with the 1 KG honey.

That being said, I did recently have one batch with bread yeast (JOAM) go to 13.9%, and I had a cherry-vanilla using 71B yeast go to 16%(it's supposed to die at 14%)

So 1 kilo + 2 L of water is good ? It will be in the middle not sweet and no dry right?

And about the nutrients im gonna boil a table spoon of bread yeast and use it as nutrients that wull work right ? Cause i couldnt find any nutrients anywhere i i even tried pharmacies

As far as I know it 'should' ferment with that high of sugar, so long as you like sweet. It's all opinion on how sweet you like it. Some people like sweet, some dry. I guess just try it and find out if you like that level of sweetness or not. I order yeast nutrient from Amazon, but have read of ppl doing that with the yeast, others would know alot better than me about that.

Taste. Well I've seen where some people go by the final gravity:
<1.006 is dry
1.006-1.020 semi sweet
1.020-1.040 sweet
1.040< dessert wine sweet

(Approximation, I've seen different scales used).

But biased on the ingredients, acidity, etc it can taste sweeter/dryer than it really is. And it all boils down to what you enjoy, it's not like your selling it, so it's for your personal enjoyment.

(2.2×0.035)÷0.92 = 0.083
0.083×131.25 = 10.89

This if i put 1kilo with 2.5 litres of water

Now wich one is better ? The 2 litres of water gives me more % of alcohol wich is better but i dont want it to be too sweet

Taste. Well I've seen where some people go by the final gravity:
<1.006 is dry
1.006-1.020 semi sweet
1.020-1.040 sweet
1.040< dessert wine sweet

(Approximation, I've seen different scales used).

But biased on the ingredients, acidity, etc it can taste sweeter/dryer than it really is. And it all boils down to what you enjoy, it's not like your selling it, so it's for your personal enjoyment.
Thats why i dont want it to be too sweet i like dry stuff like beer wiskey and stuff like that but i i wan try a little bit of sweet not too sweet

(2.2×0.035)÷0.92 = 0.083
0.083×131.25 = 10.89

This if i put 1kilo with 2.5 litres of water

Now wich one is better ? The 2 litres of water gives me more % of alcohol wich is better but i dont want it to be too sweet
I think your using 2.8 litres per gallon for your conversion

For 2 litres:
2 litres / 3.8 (L/G)=0.526 gallon

(2.2x0.035)/0.526 = 0.146
0.146x131.25 = 19.21%

I thought you did it for 3 litres before sorry.

But the 2 litres is only water if i add the honey it will be 3 litres and u said C is combined volume

Ok great thank you that was very helpful :) so in ur experience its good to use the 2 + 1 yeah that wont be too sweet right ?

Now that you caught my mistake I think it would be just right lol. I'm used to adding honey to part of water and filling with water to desired volume, hence why I was looking at it differently (I'm working night shifts on a 10 day stretch, and getting kids to school in the mornings so kinda sleep deprived, that's my excuse ;-)

A big determined in mine is that the boss (aka 5'2" Mexican wife, very mean...) is happy lol

Now that you caught my mistake I think it would be just right lol. I'm used to adding honey to part of water and filling with water to desired volume, hence why I was looking at it differently (I'm working night shifts on a 10 day stretch, and getting kids to school in the mornings so kinda sleep deprived, that's my excuse ;-)

A big determined in mine is that the boss (aka 5'2" Mexican wife, very mean...) is happy lol
When the wife is happy ur happy i know that my wife is not happy with my experiment right now so i hope it would turn out at least good so i can make another batch looool

I tried to grow weed before the mead experiment and i ended up killing more then 40 seeds and couldnt do it so she got fed up with me and my ideas loool

When the wife is happy ur happy i know that my wife is not happy with my experiment right now so i hope it would turn out at least good so i can make another batch looool
Haha, yea mine had me make a ginger one, but I had wayyy too much ginger in it...luckily she liked the cherry vanilla melomel I made so I got the approval to continue.

I tried to grow weed before the mead experiment and i ended up killing more then 40 seeds and couldnt do it so she got fed up with me and my ideas loool
Headsup..the moderators might not like discussion on illegal topics..so I'm going to assume your in California or colorado... ;-)

Idk how to delete posts...but I don't think they would care about one post about something that most likely happened over there...

Ok good night its 1:20 am here i will start the experiment tomorrow will share some photos with u i will record what im doing and maybe show it to u in youtube
About the yeast ammount would a table spoon be anough ? Or too much ?

Back