Help, I'm out of PBW.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintaurus

Reaction score
I really need to bottle from my secondary carboy tonight and rack another brew to that secondary tonight. Normally it only takes me 30 minutes or so with a good soak and rinse with PBW but I'm out and will not be able to take care of this until next week if I don't do t tonight.

Is there any way I can effectively clean my carboy without PBW and not have to let it soak over night. I was thinking of using a little bleach, hot water, a brush and rinsing over and over and over.

Hopefully some of you nice folks have some good advice for me.

If it's in secondary then it should be a problem just to use warm water with a carboy brush, then sanitize. I don't think I've ever used pbw or oxyclean in my secondaries.

I have used bleach in a pinch. It worked out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay. The only reason I'm worried is because It wasn't quite finished fermenting when I moved it to the secondary and dry hopped it so is quite messy in there.

Just let it soak with warm water, then use a carboy brush. The hops shouldn't be nearly as tricky as a krausen ring.

Do you have an "L" shaped brush that can scrub the inside? Using PBW isn't critical, just helps to break up the crud.

I always use antibacterial dish soap and a carboy brush to clean my carboys. Then I sanitize with star san, and I have never had a contamination issue. PBW is good for hard to clean boil kettles and kegs, but I have never used it with a carboy.

bleach is not a cleaner, go the supermarket and get some OxyClean, it's the same as PBW and way cheaper

^^This^^
Bleach and dish soap are not really great as if not completely rinsed they both can create off flavors..

I use OXY for all cleaning and does just a good of job as PBW in most cases.

Sent from the Commune

Thanks everyone. I know I'm over anal about everything I do. I've always used PBW and It works great, I do have the L shaped brush. I guess I just overthink things a little to much sometimes. Time to get to work now. Thanks again.

Back