Help Identifying Nutrient Deficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All -

Looking for help identifying what I think is a nutrient deficiency on my second year hops. My fuggles is showing it the most but I’ve seen it creep up on my Cascade and nugget too. I’m guessing because it’s shared in varying degrees between all of my hops in different planters that its likely just a deficiency in the soil (I used the same soil brand / type across all planters last year and used a fresh bag this year).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

How much water and how much fertilizer have they been getting?

I am of limited help as far as techie type details, as my five sets of plants (pairs of crowns) are all doing very well on natural dirt with pretty minimal attention from me.
They are taking over like triffids.

Consider the possibility that you are loving your plants to death.

TeeJo

much more pronounced on bottom leaves, the effects gradually decrease as the bine gets higher.

I water once a day, there's other plants companion planted in the 4' x 4' boxes that each hop bine is in. I have not put any new fertilizer in the soil this year, just a single bag of new top soil in each box.

Once a day watering would lead me to guess too much water. Also, are you making sure not to get the leaves wet? To me it looks like they have been wet and not drying off. Or it is humid and could use more air.

I'd prune the bottom leaves to promote airflow around the crown. It is something I had to do with my Magnum plant. I'd say the bottom leaves more or less looked like yours.

Here's that thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=629109

Latest posts

Back