Help identifying a Fungi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnick12

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help identifying some sort of fungi that I have found in one of my attempts at isolating a wild yeast. I am a chemist, not a microbiologist and need some help!

The back story is around christmass I bought myself a scope as a present to myself, and ever since have been looking at just about every thing I can find.

One day while brewing I pulled a nice smelling flower from the garden and placed it into 12ml of sterilized YEPD media with 5% glucose. Fermentation was evident in roughly 48 hours, but I let it sit for 2 weeks venting it daily.

Anyway I finaly decided to look at a drop under the scope. I stained with methylen blue and took a look. At 400x there are what appear to be yeasts, large round cells that are darkly stained blue. However these yeasts are showing multilateral budding. Most common was a single large cells with 4 smaller daughter cells fused to the mother cell. They almost look like a tetrahedron, with the mother cells being the tip with the daughter cells aranged equidistant from each other.

The other peculiar thing is this fungus seems to form pseudohypha, but I am not really qualified to make this claim. They form a very irregular chain of fused cells.

Anyway I streaked some of this solution out yesterday in order to better see what is in there.

But I would really appreciate if anyone versed in the subject would chime in.

Thanks!

Both White Labs and Wyeast are very home brew friendly with great customer service, try emailing them:)

Both White Labs and Wyeast are very home brew friendly with great customer service, try emailing them:)

Thats a good idea,

Unfortunatly I think I found out what it was. After 36 hours of growth the agar is covered in some sort of white mold, I think it is Zygomycete but im not really sure. Oh well guess I will look somewhere else for yeast!

Ive already got nice yeast ( I think its brett) from some grain.

Back