Help Identify keg/coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goro

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Did anyone ever use a keg like this?
I am using corny kegs but I wanted a smaller one for coffee. I found these for cheap but they look weird and I am not sure what coupler is compatible with it.
Not sure if it’s worth getting it or just get a small corny.

thank you
89B26C47-C0AE-42F0-B208-70FB727A3295.jpeg

Something about that keg looks hinky.
Maybe it's that feature at 12 o'clock that I've never seen on any Sanke keg.
Maybe it's the plastic base.

I think the OP needs to provide a bit more info - like what is that written on the side?

Cheers!

Looking at the print on the keg, I believe that it is a professional version of a "party keg", I've seen them before and forget what they are called, there is a separate "bladder" inside that holds gas and pushes the beer out.

Looking at the print on the keg, I believe that it is a professional version of a "party keg", I've seen them before and forget what they are called, there is a separate "bladder" inside that holds gas and pushes the beer out.

Would that have used a proprietary coupler as opposed to one of the standard Sanke couplers?

Cheers!

Maybe it's a "Fresh Keg"? Fresh Keg & Smart Draft - Schaefer Container Systems
Check out this pdf of theirs: pretty sure this is that :) https://schaefercontainers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/br_freshkeg.pdf
Note the proprietary dispensing head...

Cheers!

I agree, I believe this is what it is. The brewery that I knew that had them, had the backpack setup as seen in the last pic on page 9.

I'm curious as to how to clean it and recharge/fill it.

Also, looking at the base of the keg in the pic, you can see the "feet" identical to what is pictured in the brochure.

Apparently Schafer has rebranded this product as "smartDraft".

It's possible a recommended cleaning procedure may be found from this starting point, but I keep seeing rather dismissive statements wrt cleaning - like "no time-consuming cleaning", "No need for subsequent cleaning", etc. Which strains credulity beyond the breaking point, of course...

Cheers!

Maybe it's a "Fresh Keg"? Fresh Keg & Smart Draft - Schaefer Container Systems
Check out this pdf of theirs: pretty sure this is that :) https://schaefercontainers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/br_freshkeg.pdf
Note the proprietary dispensing head...
The head does indeed seem to be the same as the Fresh Keg - but they show the smallest version as 10 liters. The one in question is only half that.
Definitely same weird side doomaflotchy tho... maybe they make a 5L.

If you check their catalog they do have a ~5 liter/~1.3 gallon version of their "freshKeg" line.
It's almost certainly a Schaefer product one way or the other, there are too many design features in common with the OP's keg to have any doubt...

Cheers!

Back