Help! I think I have an infected Pilsner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
P1020653.jpg
[/IMG]
P1020652.jpg
[/IMG]My pilsner has been in the primary fermenter for about 2+ weeks. This is only my second Lager so for all I know the smell is normal. From the beginning the smell was pretty foul. After 10 days I did a gravity check and it was at 1.011 and I thought I could taste and smell butter so I did a D-rest for 5 days than chilled it back down to 52 F. I just did another gravity check and it didn't drop any and it still has the same smell and taste. Do I have a problem or does it just need more time? Thanks, Mike

dont think its an infection. Maybe the D-rest wasnt warm enough. Only time will tell if it clears up though. I'd say relax.

photos, please.

smell is a bad indication. infections are usually pretty visually obvious.

how does it taste? if it doesn't taste infected...RDWHAHB

The smell maybe a little sour, but I'm no sure if thats what it smells like or if it's something totally dfferent.

Doesn't look like an infection to me...at least nothing really bad.

I am lagering my first lager right now, a Doppelbock. It stuck it up while fermenting and it seems like most lagers are like that from reading on here. It did taste pretty good though, although it obviously needed some time to lager.

I'm thinking you just need to lager that sucker, bottle, and then make a judgment call when it is bottled. Just doesn't look infected to me.

my lagers have had floaties right near the top of the beer, I think some kind of coagulated protein chains. Also, lagers tend to smell different as they ferment.

Now after 3 weeks in the primary the Pilsner smells a lot like vinegar. What went wrong? I'm assuming the beer is ruined, can it be saved or does it just need more time? Thanks, Mike

Latest posts

Back