Help I think I &;@/ed up !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSOE_HomeBrew

Reaction score
I added gelatin 24 hours ago and it appears to be sitting on the surface with little gelatin bubbles on the surface. Did I ruin my beer!?!

Did you drop the temp of the beer? You want to get it down in to the 40's at least for the gelatine to drop effectively.

How did you add the gelatin? Dry, dissolved in cold water, bloomed properly in hot water? What did you do afterward? Stir, shake, cold crash?

How did you add the gelatin? Dry, dissolved in cold water, bloomed properly in hot water? What did you do afterward? Stir, shake, cold crash?

I added the gelatin after preparing it in 2 cups cold water then microwaved it until the solution turned clear. I added it to the beer by just poring it in.

I thought you didn't have to cold crash with gelatin?

By microwaving the gelatine you probably boiled it and that would be why it's sitting on top of your beer like jello. You want to warm it in around 140-160F water, then add it to the beer.

I've never used gelatine without cold crashing, someone correct me if you don't have to drop the temps please.

I concur that you likely overcooked the gelatin. I boil water and allow to come down to 180-160F before mixing the granules in. Then I let it sit for 15 or so minutes before pouring it in.

I don't crash cool because I don't have the capabilities just yet, but I've heard that makes a major difference. It should work without cooling, but not as well. I forgot to put gelatin in my latest brew, but did set it outside in the sub 60F weather. I wish I had used gelatin, because that probably would have made a big difference.

Back