HELP! I forgot to add the milk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be able to save this beer yet by placing it in milk jugs and setting it out in the sun for at least 6 weeks prior to bottling. Be sure to taste a sample before bottling. It it tastes good, then you are golden. If not, call the EPA and ask them to clean it up for you.

So is this an example of "trolling"? It's sure not helping my problem.

I thought this was a joke thread, but for you new brewers, do not add milk to any brew ever.

So is this an example of "trolling"? It's sure not helping my problem.

My apologies for trolling, apparently.

Your batch of beer cannot be saved. You have already been advised to not actually use milk in a milk stout. Milk simply is not an ingredient used in making beer. Lactose sugar is used to make milk stouts, not milk.

My condolences to you for the lost batch. In the learning process things sometimes do go terribly wrong, as in the case of this beer. Consider it a learning experience. I suggest you clean out your carboy with same fever that you would if you knew 20 rats with plague died in it. There are simply a lot of bugs in there you do not want getting into future beers and you must be vigilant in being sure you eradicate them all.

Best of luck with your next brew. I suggest something less exotic than a milk stout. Perhaps a nice pale ale? When getting started it's best to get the basics down before diving into more complicated stuff. It really pays off in the long term.

Best regards,
Chadwick

I used skim so no fat and the proteins should settle out with aging, I understand that gelatine, Irish moss or the like might be needed if I want to drink this in the next two months.

So you have skim milk, no fat. Fine. The proteins are still there. You use gelatin to settle that out. Fine. You are left with what? The sugar. In other words: lactose. Save yourself from having to deal with the curdled cheese bits floating on top of the beer and the time required for settling out the proteins by just using the lactose.

Since it's already done, you definitely should use the gelatin to settle out the proteins. Once clear, siphon it to your bottling bucket from below the clumps on top. You should still get a clear beer. Just seems like more trouble than it is worth when you can get lactose all by itself.

So you have skim milk, no fat. Fine. The proteins are still there. You use gelatin to settle that out. Fine. You are left with what? The sugar. In other words: lactose. Save yourself from having to deal with the curdled cheese bits floating on top of the beer and the time required for settling out the proteins but just using the lactose.

Since it's already done, you definitely should use the gelatin to settle out the proteins. Once clear, siphon it to your bottling bucket from below the clumps on top. You should still get a clear beer. Just seems like more trouble than it is worth when you can get lactose all by itself.

Thank you! A real helpful post!

Let it ferment and taste it after three weeks in the fermenter. If you like the way it tastes, that is all that really matters. This would not be a good beer to share with friends even if you like it.

Good luck with this one, I hope it works out for you :mug: I'm sure for your next attempt at this you'll have some good ideas for improvements to make. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out for you when it's done, and also to hear what your next shot at this brew turns out like with any changes you incorporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back