HELP! I forgot to add the milk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pondlumber

Reaction score
So I made this beer last weekend:

5gal
7lb MO
1lb Crystal 60
0.5lb Sp B
0.25 Roasted
1.5lb rolled oats

0.5oz Brewer's gold @ 60min
0.5oz Fuggle @ 5min

Using WLP002

I was going to add a half gal of milk after the boil but I forgot! Is it too late a week later?

So you're saying it's better to add it late?

No, I'm saying adding milk to a beer would be a disaster.

I think you are looking for lactose sugar. You can still add it to the fermenter, but you should boil it in a little water and cool it before you do.

No, I'm saying adding milk to a beer would be a disaster.

I think you are looking for lactose sugar. You can still add it to the fermenter, but you should boil it in a little water and cool it before you do.

Crap, I just dumped it in. It's pasteurized so it's like I boiled it.

I think the trick to adding milk to the fermenter is make sure it isn't pasteurized, it's gotta be right from the tap so to speak, and it needs to be added in small amounts following a rather complex schedule so as not to overdo it with the lactose or it will taste..... Well off.

I prefer adding a heaping dollop of cottage cheese to my pint glass instead of fermenting in the carboy, this does two things:

1) it eases cleanup of your equipment.

2) it is a great way to add that " aged with milk" flavor you are seeking in half the time! :rockin:

I think the trick to adding milk to the fermenter is make sure it isn't pasteurized, it's gotta be right from the tap so to speak, and it needs to be added in small amounts following a rather complex schedule so as not to overdo it with the lactose or it will taste..... Well off.

I prefer adding a heaping dollop of cottage cheese to my pint glass instead of fermenting in the carboy, this does two things:

1) it eases cleanup of your equipment.

2) it is a great way to add that " aged with milk" flavor you are seeking in half the time! :rockin:

Wow, that's some really great advice, it really makes sense, but I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

I'd really like to make some of the "real deal" stuff. I know it's kinda gross, but my wife is lactating, how much do you add at a time?

Might help to reboil the thing with a few teaspoons of vinegar to get the casein to clump for a cleaner product. Plus you can use it as a glue for your labels

I'd like to try making that some time, but I don't have a horse. I'm just trying to make a simple milk stout here.

Milk stouts use lactose sugar, not milk.

There isn't a single beer for sale in the civilized world that uses milk.

I stand corrected. Effing crazy Japanese!

They have Pepsi flavored Fritos there too.

The milk got kind of chunky since I put it in. I wish I had a working camera, something seems wrong. Maybe I added too much at once?

The milk got kind of chunky since I put it in. I wish I had a working camera, something seems wrong. Maybe I added too much at once?

Yes, something is very wrong: There is milk in your beer.

I'm reading this and picturing a first time brewer with a milk stout kit who is wondering why their kit didn't come with the milk...so they figured they have some in the fridge...just gotta google milk addition...then they stumble upon this thread...and.....:D

Why do you need a camera? Just use a paint program and draw a picture of what you are seeing.

The only thing left is to wait and see. But honestly, I thought this was a joke. I had to remember if it was April 1 or not. At least I had a good laugh.

Really, this isn't a joke, I'm worried I messed up my beer by adding the milk wrong.

Let me put your fears to rest. You did mess up. You should not have added milk. Instead you should have added lactose, that is the defining, sweet, "milky" flavor of a milk stout. The milk will likely curdle in the beer. There are fats and proteins in milk as well as other things in suspension along with the lactose, most of which you do not want in your beer. For the love of R2D2, please use lactose next time, you will be happy you did.

I'm not sure if this picture will work, but I pulled a sample. It's doing a crazy foam thing and there are little chunks everywhere in it. I can't even get a real SG on it because it's so foamy.

You might be able to save this beer yet by placing it in milk jugs and setting it out in the sun for at least 6 weeks prior to bottling. Be sure to taste a sample before bottling. It it tastes good, then you are golden. If not, call the EPA and ask them to clean it up for you.

Let me put your fears to rest. You did mess up. You should not have added milk. Instead you should have added lactose, that is the defining, sweet, "milky" flavor of a milk stout. The milk will likely curdle in the beer. There are fats and proteins in milk as well as other things in suspension along with the lactose, most of which you do not want in your beer. For the love of R2D2, please use lactose next time, you will be happy you did.

I used skim so no fat and the proteins should settle out with aging, I understand that gelatine, Irish moss or the like might be needed if I want to drink this in the next two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back